We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conch shells

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Conch shells

I love the conch shells and starfish that you see for sale along the coastal roads on Isla. Are you allowed to take them through customs in Canada or are they restricted?

ontario
Level Contributor
285 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conch shells

i brought one once and had no problems. but - they're a lot heavier than you think!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conch shells

We have brought them home, but they can be confiscated.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conch shells

A couple with us last year brought home probably 6 or so. Some bought some we found. We did get pulled for a secondary search but they didn't take them . This was us customs.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,034 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conch shells

I won't buy any shells, starfish or anything else out of the ocean because despite their claims to the contrary I have personally seen vendors pulling live creatures out of the sea to sell, especially starfish. There is no way to know whether they are doing this legally or in a sustainable manner. By the same token, when I get dragged into a jewelry store I ask if they have any black coral, and if they do even my wife will walk out.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
37,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conch shells

Conch shells are illegal to take home, once the xrays pick them up in checked-in or carry on luggage they will be confiscated unless you provide the authorities with special documentation.

Countries who are a member of CITES in the link below and as you see Mexico is on the list when you click on the 'List of Parties in Alphabetical Order '.

http://tinyurl.com/7n3feeg

To comply with the legal requirements set by each country under the CITES agreement, importers and exporters - whether they are tourists or business people - need to present the appropriate CITES permit or declaration to the customs officials.

I guess you were just lucky getting your previous conch shell through security and the TSA agents didn't know the rules.

Angie.

Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Conch shells

I thought I read somewhere, can't remember,maybe wentcostal blog? NO more selling shells, starfish etc. from the ocean on Isla, I think it will be against the law. Not sure. I remember back in the day getting the ferry and shells,starfish and bigfish were lined up for sale on the walkway.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
675 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Conch shells

That was a coupla stands shut down, and one of the fellows had his stuff confiscated...they were selling conch that was under ban, and one had no permit to vend. Then other people didn't open their stands for the next day or so. But I suspect things are back to normal...I don't make it down by Guadalupana or over to Sac Bajo by the tortugranja...it was at one of those two locations. I think that was a federal agency, making a visit. (Thanks for reading)

Harrisburg PA
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Conch shells

Interesting.

We found a terrific conch shell not long after a hurricane a few years back, and, aside from the obvious weight factor, the customs folks did nothing more than admire it.

I guess it depends on their current state of mind.

Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Conch shells

I knew I had read something about the shells forgot where and what. I read so much sometimes it all runs together HA HA. WentCostal I thought I read something on your blog and now I remember. The shells are all over the place on the Island for sale when I was there a couple weeks ago..

Angelina52..... good info for everyone who wants to take shells home.

10. Re: Conch shells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 21:23