We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

noise at ixchel beach hotel?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
portland, Or
Level Contributor
178 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
noise at ixchel beach hotel?

Just wondering if noise at night, such as with chimbos, is still an issue?

We are very close to booking there.

Thanks!

oakhurst, ca
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

I spent 11 nights in May and never heard any loud music or noise at night, I was in a room closest to the beach on 4th floor phase 1 loved Ixchel

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,583 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

It has been a very long time since anyone has mentioned it and when we were there last January it was quiet. I'd say it hasn't been an issue lately but that's not to say they can't start up again. Let's hope you have a peaceful time there :)

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

Chimbo's doesn't operate like a nightly disco but they do have occasional private parties. When we last stayed there in 2012 there was a loud party one Saturday night, with lots of locals arriving via taxi. But at 11 PM they turned down the bass so the sound was much more manageable. We were in Building II, however--it might be more of an issue in one of the oceanfront units of building I.

Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

HI newlywed. I love Ixchel, and I was just there. A few years ago, the music at Chimbo's was bothersome, even during the day. We were right behind it - closest unit to the beach on the ground floor, phase 1. I'd be trying to nap or relax during the day, and I could hear the music. It was the same beat over and over - my sisters and I still joke about it and sing the tune. So now I stay farther back, in 209/210 in phase 1. It's a great condo - BUT last month I noticed that the building is extremely loud. Lots of bangs and thumps all day, until about 11 at night. It's an echo-y building, and I wondered if our condo just got the brunt of it. There's a housekeeping closet next to it. It was tolerable, but I'll probably consider a higher floor in phase 2 next time.

I doubt you'd hear the music high up in phase 1, but maybe. there's also a place next to Chimbo's called Tarzan's, and they blare some type of gospel music early in the morning before the crowds come out. I know because I go to the beach really early, around 8, and it was blaring until about 10. You could hear that music.

Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

Also, Newlywed, I'm extremely sensitive to music and noise, but I'm not sure any of my issue above would stop me from booking Ixchel. The pros greatly outweigh the noise cons.

portland, Or
Level Contributor
178 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

Thank you everyone! I just made my booking. So excited and relieved that is no longer the issue it once was!

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

We didn't hear noise any night when staying there. We loved it there.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,781 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

We are staying in an ocean front room at Ixchel in March. I requested one "high up." But of course they can't "guarantee anything." Is there a certain building that is better than another in regards to the noise (if there should be any noise?). Or one that has better views? I want to request that too. I also requested to not have a ground floor room.

Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

I've only stayed in phase 1. I can't imagine there's much difference in terms of building noise. Phase 2 would be farther away from the two beach clubs whose music people are talking about - Chimbo's and Tarzan's.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,781 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: noise at ixchel beach hotel?

Hi Megan... They put us in West 1, ocean front. (Just looked at our reservation).