We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here and Happy!

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Here and Happy!

Hola from Elysium!

When our 10:30 AirTran/Southwest from BWI had not begun boarding by 10, I feared the worst and at 10:05 an announcement confirmed my fears. We would not be leaving before 1. Made the best of it by enjoying a leisurely lunch and were happy to be heading down the runway on time. Perfect three-hour flight and smooth landing, but then new situations cropped up: airstairs-- not fun with a carryon and a "pocketbook" loaded with gadgetry. Everybody on the plane eventually lollygagged their way onto the shuttle and we arrived in immigration gridlock and were one hour and twenty minutes in line before we were welcomed to Mexico. No bags to collect so straight into customs for another ten minutes of weaving in and out before BOTH of us drew red lights and had all our bags searched. I am traveling with a friend who is visiting Mexico for the first time, and I found myself saying over and over, "It's not usually like this." Luckily she's a good sport and eventually we picked our way out into the open air and found our man from VR waiting with a sign. Their company is Diamond Tours and compared with USA Transfers I found them less than accommodating. The van was hot and never really got cool. Our driver was giving his friend a lift back to town so we felt asking questions would be intrusive.Nonetheless, he got us to Playa Linda where Teno -- "like Dino only with a T" --- put the world to rights in about twenty seconds by deftly getting us and all our luggage aboard the Cocoon and having us climb a little ladder to join him on deck to steer that vessel through the dizzying, dazzling , crazy quilt of blues. My friend's lovely face was all smiles and incredulity and exclamations of delight as she took it all in for the first time. Icy cold bottles of water were placed in our hands and our captain - - who has spent his whole life on Isla! - - fielded our barrage of questions with great humor and detail. Every once in a while my friend would say, "Is this real?"

We "parked" at the dock where "Eliud" was waiting for us and all our baggage and walked across the street and into the open arms of Villa Rolandi. Much more to tell, but suffice to say, we are here and we are happy! TNY, I see why you love this place!

P.S. The weather is fine. Send money.:)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,867 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here and Happy!

I so wish I were there now :) I'm sure you and your friend will have a wonderful time. Make sure to order coffee delivered in the morning. It's heaven sitting on your balcony, sipping coffee and looking at that incredible water. Thanks for checking in and have fun!

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here and Happy!

You certainly arrived on a beautiful day. Be sure to enjoy the sunset!!

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here and Happy!

This is our fourth day at VR on Isla, and I thought I'd report a few observations.

Weather

It is very hot and by times quite muggy. Al fresco dining at VR last evening brought lots of pesky biters so we sprayed and stayed vigilant. It has rained twice since we have been here, always pre-dawn which has made for some interesting dodge-im games.

Golf Cart Ride

Once again I cannot believe how much things have changed in just the few short months since my last visit.. There is evidence of new building all along the Caribbean side, some of it in spots where I would not have thought possible. We drove to Punta Sur, arriving before 9:00 A.M. and had the place practically to ourselves until almost ten when Acantilado opened. Visited NaBalam, Avalon/Mia, Ixchel for future reference and did some shopping. Had the traditional fish tacos at Compadres--excellent as usual but I must say that the soccer finals are proving a distraction to EVERYONE on Isla. :) By the time we were on the road again, traffic was a HORROR and there was no drop of pleasure in the rest of the ride. I know this is a minority opinion but there are just WAY too many golf carts on Isla ( for me). This morning at 7 we rode down to Barlito/Marina P to find Tiffany and it was VERY BUSY with kiddos being dropped for school. Tiffany's place is very pretty and clean with very attractive gardens. Sorry we missed you! Enjoy your chai!

VR

So glad to have the experience of staying here before it changes leadership and direction. It is indeed a very special place-- a small, really intimate hotel with outrageously good service, food, ambience. One service I have never read about is laundry and we could not be happier about it. Working very hard at devising a plan to take Alysida home with me-- perhaps replacing her with my friend??? :) A joke. ( I think)

We have also walked from the ferry dock to Playa Norte and then walked the entire length of the malecon and the rest of the journey to view our January rental, Casa Luna de Turquesa which is next door to Da Luisa, and how cool is that?

Time is passing far too quickly--as always. Isla is lovely and fun and thrilling and heart-stirring as always. "'scuse me while I kiss the sky".

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here and Happy!

One last note: construction workers/finishers have been working in a room a few doors down since we arrived.-- probably beginning the updates on the second floor!

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here and Happy!

Just checking the board and seeing this post; we were on the same flight out of BWI. Group of ten. That wait in immigration was insane. I've never seen it like that. Between that and the flight delay, we arrived on the island about 4 hours later than I expected. But we made it, having a great time.

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here and Happy!

Where are you LeoinMD? Hope you are having a great time!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,867 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here and Happy!

Love the Jimi Hendrix reference :) Wow, sounds super busy with all the golf carts. And it’s supposedly low season too, lol. So glad you’re enjoying VR; I will miss it once it changes, that’s for sure. What did you think of the new Mia Reef? Have fun the rest of your stay!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,225 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here and Happy!

Seeing that water certainly makes it easy to forget a troublesome trip down, doesn't it? Glad you're enjoying yourself and I hope the weather holds out for you.

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here and Happy!

We are staying at Villa la Bella. My wife set up a special anniversary dinner at Villa Rolandi Thursday night - private beach dinner with candles and a private waiter. Very special evening.

We could not have asked for better weather. A few rainstorms in the middle of the night, followed by sunny and hot days. It has been perfect. Great time with a great group of friends.

Sykesville, Maryland
Level Contributor
338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here and Happy!

Also did a dive trip the other day through Marina Paraiso - a drift dive around the south point of the island - saw an amazing number of turtles underwater; they were less than 10 feet away from us at times. Ivan at MP did a great job.