We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

Lunes

I woke up with the sunrise, made some coffee, and took it out to the communal balcony. Ahhh, how wonderful. I sat there above the street and enjoyed watching Isla come to life. Kids going to school on motos, people going to work, others stopping to visit with friends.

I went for a morning walk making sure I checked out the Caribbean and the bayside waters. I ended up at Q'bravo. It is such a cute place with wonderful people. The iced coffee was very good served with a little pitcher of milk so I could customize my cup. I had scrambled eggs and it came with toast, beans, grilled zucchini, plantains, and potatoes ($80 pesos). They have 3 homemade sauces – avocado, chipotle and habanero. They were great. Who know avocado goes so well on eggs! It was a lot of food, too much for me, in fact.

I went for many, many walks today so I could try to eat more. The beach was great as always and I tried swimming and walking in the water for more exercise. There were a few clouds and storms over Cancun but nothing over Isla. I decided to have lunch in my room, sliced mango and my left over salbute de pescado from Abuelos. Even cold, the salbute is soooo good. The meat is so well seasoned, with fresh tomato, avocado and onion sliced on top. All of this piled on a homemade corn tortilla.

I found Sergio, the batik artist, just hanging out on the south end of Hidalgo. He had a few with him so I bought one with 2 tortugas. They are so cute and the batiks travel real well in a suitcase. He also reminded me of the background of my first batik I bought from him. I had a picture in my phone so I could get the info. I had to take notes in Spanish and Maya but I got it. He is such a nice guy and so enthusiastic about Maya history.

One of my walks was down Jaurez, around the end of the navy base, then back up Medina. What a great little island. It was very windy and humid. No real sunset but the walk along the beach was gorgeous.

I went to Abuelos for dinner, I had to have more of their food. I had limonada and tacos de pescado. It came with salsa and totopos, of course ($100 pesos). They have wonderful salsa, I think its the best on Isla. They were so sweet.

This trip was such a great idea. It is so restorative to soul and body. I get to just do what I want to, eat when and where I want to, sleep when I need to. It is fabulous. I feel immense gratitute to my husband and family for making this time possible. I finished the first book I brought and have started the next. I talk to friends as long as I want to without someone saying “mom, when are we going to the beach” or “I'm hungry”. I still have 3 more days to fully enjoy.

Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

Isn't it great that you can walk around a town and go to a beautiful beach - all in the same place? I think it's something that distinguishes Isla. I didn't go to Abuelos once in the week I stayed at Ixchel. Major regret now.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

I just love your reports. Thank you for sharing. Just great!

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

Great morning read. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
9,825 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

Your reports remind me of a French phrase that translates as "How wonderful to do nothing." Your time on Isla sounds so idyllic.

Kenai
Level Contributor
669 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

A rest for your soul... I hope you stay long enough to become homesick... That is, to me, the test of a true vacation.. I need to stay long enough to miss my home, my doggies, my grown daughter, my work, my friends...It happens usually around the two weeks mark... Your vacation sounds wonderful and thank you for sharing it!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

Colleen - same for me. I know it's time to go home when I miss my 91 year old mother, grown daughter and her husband, and the sound of my little dog's toe nails across the hardwood kitchen floor. However, it takes us about three weeks. I might never go home if they all joined us on the island!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

Jetskigirl :-) Q’Bravo...really good coffee! Thanks for commenting on Sergio...a little while back people didn’t seem to know where he went. I haven’t been lucky enough to find him but would love to see his batiks. Nice to read he's around. Abuelos...I was bummed I didn’t get there last trip. Sounds like such a great place! And Juarez..what a cool street! I’m envisioning the walk lol. :-)

Another great report..hope there’s more! :-D

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

Wibs - Sergio was on the south end of Hidalgo but he was chatting with a friend. He wasn't really set up to sell. I just asked him if he had any batiks with him.

Yes, there will be more after I get typing!

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
547 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

Your reports make me feel like I'm there!! Sounds like you are getting the most out of your time on the island!! Keep enjoying!

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report - May 2014 - Lunes

jetskigirl...thanks for the info. Hopefully he'll get to set up somewhere on a consistent basis so people can find him. :-) Looking forward to your next installment!