We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, co
Level Contributor
648 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

So has anyone noticed any checkpoints or more carts being pulled over since the new laws went into effect on Monday? Just curious!

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

I must have missed the discussion. What are the new laws?

Denver, co
Level Contributor
648 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

Let me see if I can find the thread. There are new laws about alcohol and golf carts. If I recall correctly, drivers cannot have open containers and can be checked for sobriety. I believe passengers can have the open container, however.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

Make sure to keep your rental agreement with you while driving the cart.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
669 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

An enforcement of traffic laws began on Monday, planned for a duration of 15 days. They are checking documentation..plates, registration, and DL on motos, carts, & cars. (Rentors are expected to carry the rental agreement & police are aware their DL is at the agency). It began with patrols & will have checkpoints. Today's news said 80 vehicles have been cited, including 20 which were impounded. This enforcement operation, like most, was preceded with education and warnings (and there was an extension of the time allowed to renew plates). The education and warnings included not driving under the influence & with open containers, not exceeding the legal number of passengers, wearing helmets on motos, etc.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

Happy to hear this. Drinking and driving is very bad idea. Now we just need the golf carts banens from crosslinking Hidalgo.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,569 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

It was always against the law to drink and drive (golf carts included). That part isn't new. I guess they're going to be stricter on enforcing it.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

And keep them off the malecon lol.

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

Amen, WIBS! Last February I was about hit twice on the malecon. They seemed angry that I was in their way!

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

WIBS, exactly....but, the guy who almost hit me was a local business man. Very irritating....

Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The New Traffic Laws/Golf Carts

People drive golf carts on the malecon? That's ridiculous. It sounds like this is an effort to check that carts are legally registered, Is that right?

I saw someone driving a cart with an open bottle in May - I assumed it was a beer - and naively my sister and I asked the cop outside the Xpress if's legal for people to drink while driving a golf cart. He gave me a pretty withering look but answered patiently - of course not. I'm afraid he ran back to the station and put these new regulations in motion.