We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to isla murjeres

Oceanside...
3 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to isla murjeres

We are thinking of taking a ferry to isla murjeres for the day from cancun but, aren't sure. Is there an area with some shops and restaurants to walk around? We don't want to take the trip to just be at another beach. Only interested in going if there is a little town area for exploring. Any help would be appreciated.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,565 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to isla murjeres

Yes there are plenty of shops in Centro (about 6 or 8 blocks) and over 130 restaurants.

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to isla murjeres

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150810-i360-k7586…

Check this thread out. It's also currently going right now..... about a day trip as well.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 00:19
Level Contributor
527 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to isla murjeres

Centro, mentioned before, is the main town on Isla, and the ferry arrives in Centro. So it delivers you right where you want to go. Centro also merges seamlessly withe the best beaches on Isla, so you could easily check out the beach, have a drink or something to eat.... there's a handful of casual beach bars and restaurants. Centro is pretty concentrated, but there are plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes, ice cream shops, and pretty buildings to look at to keep you occupied. One street is pedestrian-only. It's called Hidalgo. That's where you want to shop.

With a full day, you can easily rent a golf cart (the most popular mode of transportation on Isla) and circle the island. There are breathtaking views along the coastal roads, and more tiny local neighborhoods to check out. No shopping outside of Centro, though. Golf carts rent for about $50/day.

Go without a plan. Wander around. You'll love it. Many of us visited for a day and began vacationing on Isla instead of Cancun or the Mayan Riviera.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 01:00
Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to isla murjeres

First of all, I think the beaches in IM are much better than Cancun. We did a day trip to IM on our first trip to the island. Make sure you walk over to Hildago. If you get over early enough you could rent a golf cart and visit Punta Sur.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to isla murjeres

We took a day trip to IM from Cancun about 7 years ago and never looked back! You can catch a ferry from the hotel zone at Playa Tortugas. Once you see IM you will never go back to Cancun! LOL!

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to isla murjeres

You can easily explore town. Centro is right where the ferry is. If you do stroll around, be sure to check out the cemetery. You do not need to be any specific religion to appreciate the beauty of how the Mexican culture honors those that have passed. Some of the graves will be decorated with pictures, flowers, the loved one's favorite trinkets. It is just beautiful. The cemetery is located just a couple blocks West of Medina on Lopez Mateos (West of Jax & Privilege Aluxes). I also recommend a walk through our open market located behind the four loncherias on Guerrero. Just seeing all the colors of the fruits & vegetables with the Mexican bags hanging is fun. On the way to Guerrero after visiting the Cemetery do pop into Emilio Sosa's art gallery, this is one block West of the cemetery, same side of the street. He is a local sculptor who creates the most fascinating creatures from paper mache. You will not believe they are paper mache. They look like porcelain. And they are painted in such detail, it is truly amazing. His work has been in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. His wife has Glenssy's just before his gallery. Her mole tamales are out of this world as are her empanadas & tacos. If you head down Hidalgo the main pedestrian walkway, just before Abasolo you will see a neat store on the East side of the street, Tribal. They have some handcrafted jewelry & handmade clothes a bit more unique than some of the other shops. On the SE corner of Hidalgo & Madero, is Atzlan. Another incredible art gallery with hand made Mexican art. Their masks, crosses & angels cover the high walls & create a very cool vibe. Keep walking South on Hidalgo & you will come upon the town square. If you go past the grocery store, the Super Express, you will come upon Galleria de Arte Mexicano, a purple shop technical on Guerrero. The owner, Alejandro is a very reputable business owner. All his jewelry, pewter & Talavera are authentic. We have lots of family (mostly my mother) who uses her credit card & has things shipped from Alejandro quite frequently.

If you get hungry do enjoy all the great restaurants & food vendors. We have wonderful locally caught seafood places all along Medina on the water. Also along the beach you will see carts with a crepe like dessert, Marquesitas! Be adventurous & try the Nutella & cheese Marquesita. Sounds weird but it is a local favorite & has the perfect salty, sweet crunch!

You mentioned you weren't interested in the beach but do head to Fenix & check out the colors of the water & our white sand of North Beach. We have been rated one of the top beaches in the world. It really is different from Cancun & breathtaking beautiful!

Enjoy your day on Isla!

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to isla murjeres

Tiffany-

Thank you for all of that! Loved reading everything there is to do in Isla.

"<I also recommend a walk through our open market located behind the four loncherias on Guerrero>" Is this the local people go? If so, I am taking my camera! I love the one in Puerto Vallarta. There is so much "colour" there in all the fruits and vegetables, I go crazy on photos. I can't wait to see it.

We also plan to go to the cemetery. Those have such history and it is amazing the lengths the relatives have gone to make a special place for their loved ones. And, they go there and take care of the plot (sweep the dust off, etc). It's like a "little town" in there. I hear the "pirates grave" is in the middle somewhere? Are there directions- or do I just go try to find it? LOL. (might take me a long time.... )

Thanks.

8. Re: Day trip to isla murjeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:17