We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
446 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

Hi, We will be a party of 8 staying at PA in August. We will be celebrating my 50th Birthday (I'm Gluten Sensitive). My husband wants to host a get together for our guest Food/Cake. He is debating on either doing this at the resort or a restaurant.

If anyone has done anything Special at PA like a celebration this I would be curious as to how this went and if it was worth it since you are paying all inclusive to eat there anyway.

Is Lola Valentina a Good Option? Does any one know if they offer a Gluten Free dessert?

Any other tips on Gluten Free options on the island would be helpful. Even thou we are all inclusive at the resort we will also have meals out.

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to returning to Isla!

Edited: 04 July 2014, 15:13
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,569 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

This is a link to WentCoastal’s blog, who is a local, and also eats gluten free. It’s an excellent guide to avoiding gluten on Isla, including how to say it in Spanish.

…blogspot.com/2012/03/gluten-free-in-isla-mu…

As you read it you'll see that she specifically mentions Lola Valentina as a good choice as the staff is aware of gluten issues.

"Lola Valentina's staff is gluten-aware & bilingual, and I have eaten there several times and done fine; as well as having confidence that they understood. "

Edited: 04 July 2014, 15:34
Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

When we were there in January I remember Lori telling us about the restaurant she was building next door. If I remember correctly she said she would have gluten-free items also organic and vegetarian. I might be wrong, but that is what I remember.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

You can find all-corn tortillas in several places (always ask to make sure doesn't also include wheat flour). We especially liked the street vendor tortilleria next to the basketball court in town, as well as the next door fruit/ice cream place (yummy banana milk shake). Same block as Casa Sirena. With advance notice, Rooster Cafe will prepare gluten-free baked goods for you using Bob's Red Mill gluten free mix.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
429 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

That's great to know about Rooster Cafe! Have you had anything gluten free from there? I'd love to know what they can make.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

We asked when we visited and met the Baker. Had a smoothie but didn't have any baked goods since have to order them in advance.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

We have several participants in the Artist Fair that prepare gluten free desserts as well....

Sugeidy - sugeidycocoa@hotmail.com

Rossmery - negrissavila@gmail.com

Yazmin - yazmin@mundaca.com.mx

We know several people that have gotten married at PA & totally loved it. They are not known for their food in the buffets or Satay but Café del Mar is quite liked & just beautiful right there on the beach. The usually have live music which adds to the ambiance.

Do be careful with store bought tortilla chips most aren't safe for gluten free people. It still amazes me that some restaurants don't make their own chips when we have tortilla factories everywhere!!

Mentioned above was the cart across the street from the basketball court. Their quasadillas & memalas are just awesome on handmade corn tortillas. On the opposite end of Hidalgo one block West from the cemetery is Glenssy's her tamales are the bomb. Some of my favorites if you want a little more upscale (bathrooms, cocktails) downtown check out Olivia, Muelle 7, Taqueria Pico de Gallo. Mid Island to La Gloria Soggy Peso (Rib day is totally gluten free!!), Limon, Deysi & Rauls (beer), Bastos.

Even being gluten sensitive you will not go hungry! You may miss out on pizza, only because gluten free flour is so expensive that no one is doing this gluten free but you will have lots of yummy choices.

Enjoy the birthday celebration on the Island!!

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

Tiffany - you amaze me. You so graciously offer advice about all the restaurants on the island and never toot your own horn. You have an awesome place and make great food. Someone needs to tell these people to try Marina Parisio (Barlito's). It is great.

Stickney,IL
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

Congratulations ! We are in PDC and like you I have a gluten allergy we just saw a 100% natural in Playa that is all gluten free. We will most likely visit at the end if the week. I will let you know how we like it

9. Re: 50th Birthday Celebration/Gluten Free - Lola Valentina's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17