We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiddos on whale shark trip

Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kiddos on whale shark trip

Has anyone taken a toddler(4 1/2yrs old) out on the whale shark trip? Not to swim, only ride on the boat- a larger boat. Worried about them getting seasick. Doctor said we can take Dramamine. Suggestions or thoughts?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

Every kid is different so it's hard to state any hard and fast rules. Bear in mind the ride out and back is between 90 minutes and 2 hours each way, with little to do but gaze out over the beautiful Caribbean. Your child may or may not be patient enough for this. I have no experience with seasickness medication with small kids, but if your doctor says it's OK that's a qualified recommendation. Most operators charge the standard rate for all passengers, whether they get into the water or not, so that's another issue to consider.

If I was confined to a whale shark boat for several hours with somebody else's cranky kid, I would not be happy. So I would err on the side of caution if you feel there's a chance your child may not be thrilled with the experience.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

"If I was confined to a whale shark boat for several hours with somebody else's cranky kid, I would not be happy."

True that!

I did the whale shark thing two weeks ago. I don't know if all operators work the same way but on our boat, it was two people + guide in the water at one time. (FWIW, it looked like the other boats were the same). This begs the question, who will watch your child when you (and presumably your spouse) are in the water?

I would also add that we thought the ocean was pretty calm when we looked at it but it was still a VERY bumpy ride of close to two hours to get to the whale sharks. After that, we were on the boat for several hours as we went snorkelling at a reef. As noted by DMartin, each kid is different but neither of mine would have been up to such a trip at the tender age of 4 1/2.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

I cant imagine taking a child that age on a whale shark trip either. I don't know if people realize how long of a day that "tour" actually is. There are laws as to how many people can be in the water at a time so when its not your turn, you wait in the boat. Add to that the 2 hours to get to that part of the ocean. I wouldn't worry about the child getting seasick Id worry about them on a boat in the middle of no where for that long.

Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

Thanks guys. I would NEVER chance it with a toddler- and ruining other peoples trip!

We have a private charter arranged- and my husband and I (along with our daughter) are not swimming- our friends with us are the only ones that will be in the water. We have some fishing arranged and incorporated with the long haul out to wherever the sharks are that day. My main concern is the sea sickness and being out that far. I'm just trying to decide if we should chance it or not. Thanks for the input!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,263 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

I really think that would be a very long and trying day for even the most patient, adventurous, and well behaved 4 1/2 year-old. As said by others, it's close to 2 hours there and back and even if it's just your immediate group doing the swim, it still adds time. I really think you should skip it with a child that young and let your friends do it without you along for the ride.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

As a grandma of a 4 year old, a four month old and a 15 year old who just snorkeled with whale sharks with the 15 year old...Please don't even start considering taking the little one! The water is very deep, there is nothing for them to do, and will be source of anxiety for all involved. Two of the nine of us in our recent trip got motion sick including my 15 year old grandson. It was more than two hours each way.

By the way even with very calm water and a life jacket our four year old grandson was a bit nervous about being on our friends boat for a short trip in the cheasapeake bay. Safety features on boats arent made with four year olds in mind.

Get a babysitter and you can enjoy the trip with your friends. Or have the parent who is least likely to get motion sick and or really wants to go participate while the other stay with the little one.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

I should also mention that if you click on my profile you can see two videos of my recent whale shark trip with grandson. One shows what you can see from the boat which isn't much. And the other of what you can see below the surface. If you take my advice (and please do) and only adults go do consider snorkeling with the whale sharks. Much better experience than viewing from the boat. But you have to be comfortable in deep water.

Meadow Lands...
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

Read this thread with great interest as my friend and I had made arrangements to go out June 20 but cancelled after talking at length with a young woman at our hotel who had gone out with her very new and very sick husband earlier in the day. When she said we would be on choppy water at LEAST two hours, we knew we were 1. too prone to mal de mar 2. too old to spend that much money and be both scared and miserable

lacontessa, your video drove home the point that deep sea ANYTHING is simply not for everyone and I think a very young boy would be very frightened.

P.S. I am usually pretty daring but I know my limitations

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,042 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

With respect to seasickness, I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm prone to it but it's been known to happen. I've never known my husband to be seasick but he didn't want to take any chances.

At the recommendation of my pharmacist, we used those adhesive patch things (drug name is scopolamineI had absolutely NO nausea at all. The side effects of the drug that I experienced were dizziness (mine was very slight, noticeable on dry land but not on the boat) and dry mouth (nothing that couldn't be fixed with water [or a beer]!). My husband didn't experience any side effects at all.

Obviously, I would recommend you seek proper medical advice (I'm not a doctor!) before trying them but I was very pleased with "the patch".

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiddos on whale shark trip

We took my 78-year-old parents on a whale shark tour with hopes that we could convince them to get into the water. No such luck. On the way back, we were still trying to convince them that the whale sharks were nothing to be afraid of. My dad explained, "We could see that--it wasn't the whale sharks that kept us on the boat. Just the idea of being so far from shore that we could no longer see it and then being asked to jump into water where we couldn't see the bottom was too much." Being divers who frequently jump off a perfectly good boat we forget that being out at sea isn't for everyone. If you aren't used to being out on a boat for 5-6 hours it can be a bit unnerving.