We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels on Playa Norte

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels on Playa Norte

So I'm considering going to Isla Mujeres for my 40th birthday in January. All inclusive isn't necessary, adults only isn't necessary...but...I would like to find an inexpensive hotel on Playa Norte. I know there are a few small hotels near Sunset Grill. I want something relatively inexpensive, and clean. I know there's a lot of good and cheap eats in the area (Sunset Grill, Don Chepo's, etc.), but it's been about 4 years since I've been to the island. Suggestions for a hotel? Places to eat? Beach bars?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,325 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

The less expensive places on the beach include Chi Chi & Charlie's, Cabanas Maria del mar and Posada del Mar (which is across the street from Playa Sol). Priviliege Aluxes, Nautibeach Condos and Ixchel Beach are a bit more but are very nice. There are also other options near the beach. Color de Verano is a small apartment building directly behind Jax, so that would be about 100 yards from the beach at the most. Also, Plaza Almendros is on the very northern end of Hidalgo, about a block from the beach, and has very affordable rates. There are other options downtown but these are the closest to the beach and with the exception of the 3 "nicer" places I mentioned are all very affordable.

Richmond, Texas
Level Contributor
847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

Villa Kiin has rooms under $100 and is on the NE corner of North Beach. (Probably more East than North)

Also check for single rooms at both Ixchel and Nautibeach. Prices are not budget, but will be less than the full condo price.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 19:03
new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

Inexpensive places that are getting great reviews lately are Ruben's on Guerrero next to Las Palmas hotel (which you may also check out since it's minutes to the beach and reasonably priced) and also Abuelo's also on Guerrero and across from Ixchel hotel. Other than that the loncherias at the market are inexpensive but close early.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

DU1975..can you define 'inexpensive' for us please. Inexpensive for me is around $50. You stayed at The Royal Playa Del Carmen..I consider it very expensive. You might think $200 is inexpensive..if that's the case, the you can get a nice place on Playa Norte for that.

www.cancunmap.com/isla-mujeres-hotels.html

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

I was hoping for something clean, and right on Playa Norte, for $100 or less. I'd like to walk out of the resort and have it be right on the beach. I know there's a few between Sunset Grill and what used to be Avalon, but I'm not sure which ones would be recommended. What about restaurants? What would you guys recommend for restaurants and beach bars?

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,372 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

Stayed at Posada del Mar last May and paid $75 per night including tax, ask for the new building which has nice quiet AC and a small fridge. Their pool is very nice. Cabanas Maria del Mar is probably within budget also depending on time of year. Stayed there as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,325 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

PDM has less expensive rooms as well--I think my son paid $55 last September. It was a basic room but try to find a $55 room anywhere in the US, let alone one across the street from the beach.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,100 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

"I know there's a few between Sunset Grill and what used to be Avalon, but I'm not sure which ones would be recommended."

There really aren't any hotels in that price range directly on the beach where you can just walk out and be on the sand. The only ones are the above mentioned Maria's Cabanas del Mar and Chi Chi and Charlie's in front of Nautibeach. IMO Posada del Mar would be a better choice than Cabanas del Mar. Chi Chi has a great location but I don't think the rooms merit the price they charge. Maybe now that they're expanding the rooms will be more commensurate with their rates but of all the budget ones mentioned I'd go with PDM.

Do check Ixchel standard rooms. Often you can get one for around 100 dollars. No balcony but you do have Playa Norte outside your door.

Level Contributor
527 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

Taqueria Mediina on Hidalgo, close to North Beach, is my favorite bargain restaurant. Two tacos al pastor for $1.70 each fills me up. Sancochos across from there also has great deals and doesn't get a lot of buzz.

Treat yourself and go with Ixchel! A standard room is really big, and the place is very upscale. Keep in mind that some of the hotels include chair rental and some don't. That would cost $25/day, although some places let you put that toward food and drinks so you get a lot for it. Ixchel and Nautibeach include chairs. Not sure about Posada del Mar.

Ontario
Level Contributor
7,243 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels on Playa Norte

Since the OP wants to go in January...I think that's when the prices are the highest? High season?