We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trips

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
1 post
Save Topic
Day Trips

I am going to be on the Island with 4 friends in November. Can anyone suggest something that would be fun. I am looking for something out of the norm. We have already swam with the dolphins. I am looking for something less commercialized..

Thanks

Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trips

I always have good intentions of doing stuff off the beach, then I become a lump and it never happens. But my top choice would be Isla Contoy. Or you could ferry to the mainland, rent a car or hop a bus, and head down the coast to snorkel at Akumal or shop in Playa del Carmen. Oh, wait, that's pretty commercial. The spas in some of the Cancun hotels are fantastic. There's one that has a fire-and-ice thing, including some sort of chamber you walk into and it spits ice chips at you. I've heard it feels nicer than it sounds. The point is, some of the spas have cutting-edge treatments. Is that too commercial?

I'm also going to hunt for sea glass on the Caribbean side one of these days.

You can volunteer with one of the local schools. I think they want English readers.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,249 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trips

great Top Question on this subject

Golf cart. Wander around town and visit beach bars, turtle farm.

From the Isla Mujeres Destination Experts

Day Trip: How should I spend my One Day on Isla?

Only on Isla for the day? Here are some suggestions on things to do and places to see that you should not miss out on.

Visiting Isla for the Day

Travel article with pictures, describing various activities to keep you happy and entertained on your day trip to Isla. ... (more)

Additional Ideas

Further suggestions for a fun day trip ... (more)

Must do Activities

Travel Article from our Top Question: What are Some Must do Activities? Be sure to check that question also for additional tips. ... (more)

Day Tripping on Isla

Thread discussion and suggestion on things to do on your one day on the island. ... (more)

How I spent My One Day on Isla

Travelkeens report on an Isla daytrip with lots of good suggestions. ... (more)

MikeCeee's Day Trip

Report of Isla Day Trip: Turtle Farm, Crayon House, and more! ... (more)

Gracie's Day Trip

Report of a fun day trip to Isla: golf cart tour, turtle farm, food, and more! ... (more)

Kiarmuid's Day Trip 3/2013

Report on day trip: Playa Lancheros, ginger lemonde, Punta Sur, and more! ... (more)

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
19,583 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trips

Julie, as Vancouversundog said, there are a series of Top Questions over on the upper right hand side. One of them specifically for day trips. If you’re using your cell you may not have full site view so you won’t see them. Check with an Ipad or a computer in that case.

One fun thing to do is rent a golf cart and tour around the island, making sure to stop at Punta Sur and take the winding path down to the water. It’s very beautiful and dramatic. There is also an interesting “floating island” in Sac Bajo built entirely by plastic bottles with a house on it. For a small donation you can visit it and it’s fascinating.

Here’s a travel article (also on right hand side) with more suggestions but do check the Top Questions also.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i25624-Visiting…

Kenai
Level Contributor
674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trips

I think Garrafon Castille... its a little beach thats inexpensive but has tons of fish to snorkel with! Or do the bar hop list... golf cart tour...

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
547 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trips

If you are up for leaving the island we took a great day trip to puerto Juarez and then to el meco ruins and on to pirata Morgan and came back on the car ferry. Awesome day! I think my review of that day and how we did it is in the top question section of the forum. Just another idea!

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trips

I agree with JAM1988, that is a great day adventure and I love Pirata Morgan.

Raleigh
Level Contributor
311 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trips

Jam and mapchick,

Were thinking about doing a day trip to Pirata Morgan. I did read the reviews, but want to verify, can we take a collective all the way? Where would we catch it? Get off? Get back on?

Thanks much!

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
863 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trips

Julie, are you talking about a day trip to the Island or off the island?

Lafayette, Indiana
Level Contributor
547 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trips

Yea, you can take the colectivo all the way to Isla Blanca/pirata morgan but it leaves PJ around 11-11:30. At least when we went it was at about that time and there was only one in the morning and then one left pirata morgan around 4-430 and went back stopping at Punta Sam and on to PJ. If you go try contacting piratamorgancancun@hotmail.com and address it to Erika. She was there the last time when we went and was so helpful in getting us colectivo times for there and back. As far as getting off the colectivo on your way there just tell the driver where you are going...and ask when you get on that you have the right one. When we came back we just stood out in front of pirata morgan and waved it down when it came by. And one more thing...if you are going to combine El Meco with PMorgan then you would have to hit El Meco early enough to then catch the colectivo on to Isla Blanca which is where PMorgan is. I hope that all makes sense. It was easy though!

Raleigh
Level Contributor
311 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trips

Thanks Jam1988 - that's exactly what I needed.