We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

on the fence should I cancel...need help

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
504 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
on the fence should I cancel...need help

hi I have a reservation at the MIA...it was a difficult decision but I want that water and snorkeling at my door step.. how is construction going? we are not staying in the towers, we are relaxed travelers and are in the mood more for the views then a 4 star mega resort. also want nice pool with a bar. should I cancel and stay somewhere else, near by? we will be on Isla 7nights early Nov... would love advice, its been 20 years since I have been on Isla... thank you in advance.. so excited

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

I would never stay there even if it was for free. I knew it was bad before but after looking at recent reviews it looks to have gone downhill even more.

If listening to jackhammers all day and dealing with bad food and out right lies about what the place advertises then by all means go.

If it was me i would cancel and look someplace else as there are tons of great places to stay.

Lets face it! You do not get to go to Isla very often unless your rich and have plenty of time on your hands so why chance a bad experience when you do not have too?

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

I'd go in a heartbeat! We were there in February. The remodeling is complete for the pool and outdoor dining areas. It is a stunning location. Upgrading is definitely happening. I look forward to seeing further improvements when we return after Christmas.

Durham, NC
Level Contributor
188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

Forgot to mention this report on remodeling as of Feb 2014. This link should take you there:

https://remodelingatmiareef.shutterfly.com/

chicago
Level Contributor
504 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

thank you. there have been so many conflicting reviews...I am hoping to get an update more recent..

chicago
Level Contributor
504 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

Gobetrekker, have u been there recently? and I think I know you from Locogringo forum from years ago. Im from Chicago too...am I wrong? lol

New Carlisle, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

I was just there a few weeks ago to photograph the mural once it was finished, and I was really impressed with all the improvements. I would gladly stay in a villa, if I could afford it...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

Mexicojewel, I am not the local gringo from years ago but then again those were in my drinking days so it might have been me?? LOL!

up north
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

Cant comment on Mia, but nice beach, pool, and bar would include Ixchel and Nautibeach condos

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

If I'm not mistaken, MIA is now AI-only. And unless the AI is cheap enough to use it for drinks only, I would never do AI on Isla. Of course, if it's AI-only I'm sure they don't quote a price on the food/beverages.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
819 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: on the fence should I cancel...need help

I was there photographing during the mural process, though I did not stay there. Even when looking past the improvements- looked like mattresses from the studios were all being replaced, balconies under construction, new sun loungers were all stacked and not yet placed on the 'beach', etc., I would still not stay there. The pool was very small. I mean- super small. At one point it was 'kid hour' so they had children's music blaring at the pool. That would drive me insane. No thanks.

Due to the design of the pool, (it's bordered by two walls), the sounds echo. There was one person smoking a cigarette there, all I could smell was the smoke. Lots of rust and balcony chairs in very poor condition, fan blades in disrepair. Very little beach- what you can see is all of the boats parked in a row due to the new buoy line. It was very crowded and you could very clearly hear all of the party music coming from all of the boats- even moreso than from Playa Norte. I counted at least 15 people in King's Bath, splashing and kicking, it was mayhem. No way would that be a peaceful experience for me. The view from there isn't at all what I expected when seeing aerial pictures taken from above. It's a totally different perspective being there. To me, it was very noisy and that wasn't including the construction.

Everyone has their own opinion and standards though. YMMV. But, I will never stay there.