We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

My boyfriend and I are wanting to go to Isla Mujeres late Dec/early Jan for a week for our 3 year anniversary. I would prefer the island because it is smaller than Cancun and not so crowded and touristy. At least it was 10 years ago when I was there. Has anyone been to any of the adults only hotels and noticed if they are gay friendly? None of them are listed specifically as LGBT friendly, but I want to know if you have seen same sex couples holding hands or kissing in public on the island.

Should we go to the island or just play it safe and find an LGBT resort in Cancun?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

Are there any bars that are gay friendly? What is DonRuty? Is that a gay bar or a gentlemans club (female strippers)? I've seen mixed comments.

What about Fenix?

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

There are so many gay people here that the establishments do not feel the need to declare themselves gay friendly. Casa Sirena has a discreet rainbow flag on their website. Everyone mingles here with zero discrimination and total tolerance for almost any lifestyle. Twenty seven years ago, when I was working with the AIDS quilt, I was surprised at how many squares mentioned Isla Mujeres. The island always has been gay friendly.

Transvestite shows are presented in many of the bars here from time to time. Don Ruty's has had them but has, like all the other bars here, a mixed crowd, gay and straight. It is not a strip bar-there are two strip bars here. That's enough.

PDAs are another issue and might be frowned upon-more because they are frowned upon in general than because of the sexual orientation of the people involved.

new york
Level Contributor
20,751 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

ITA with Islawoman. I can’t think of any place that would not welcome a gay couple even though they may not be declaring themselves gay-friendly. You mention adults only hotel… Isla has very few adults only hotels. Aside from Casa Sirena, there’s Villa la Bella, and Palace Resort. That’s about it. Rolandi used to be adult only but now that it’s been taken over by Zoetry, children are allowed. Privilege Aluxes while not adults only tends to be adult-oriented so you may look into that as well.

Mentioned in this post
Privilege Aluxes
Privilege Aluxes
3,176 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,426 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

I was also going to mention Casa Sirena, the only property I know of that specifically has the rainbow pride flag on their web site, but in addition it's a beautiful. elegant place to stay. There is a nightly happy hour on the rooftop that is not to be missed.

http://www.casasirenamexico.com/

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

I don't think you will have any issues. People are friendly and don't really care of your lifestyle preference. We preferred staying on North Beach (Playa Norte). I recommend doing this if you like the beach. We loved staying at Ixtchel. We are not bar people so we are not looking to visiting destinations for clubs. Make sure to rent a golf cart for at least 1 day to tour the island. Isla is now one of our most favorite destinations.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Norte
Playa Norte
6,330 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

Casa Sirena also rents a gorgeous condo at Ixchel right on North Beach

casasirenamexico.com/beach-condo/beachfront-…

Go with no worries, Isla is friendly to all!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

I see plenty of Gay couples when we go to Isla. They all seem to be enjoying themselves without worries.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

Thanks for all the info! I think it sounds like a fine place to visit! I know some places in the caribbean are not "friendly" so just wanted to make sure this little island was :)

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

Had several wonderful evenings chatting with a couple from the UK last year at PA. No one cares about your sexual orientation. Just be discreet about the PDA as anyone should.

Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Level Contributor
253 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gay friendly Isla Mujeres

yes, understand that the PDA is frowned upon by mexican culture, just as much so with a hetero couple as a gay couple.