We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Playa Mujeres

Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Excellence Playa Mujeres

Does anyone have any information regarding this new resort. I noticed that it's set to open summer of 2007 but that's all I have and am very interested in getting more info.

Thanks!

Huntington Beach, CA
3 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

wccw78,

If you paid for a roof top terrace and did not get what you paid for, then you most certainly have a legitimate complaint and one that should be brought to the attention of the hotel manager. If you write a letter outlining your concerns, the hotel will give you a few days complimentry stay back at the resort, or on one of thier other properties. Should everything be perfect on your vacation? Yes. But it was'nt, so give EPM a chance to fix it by comping your stay or giving you free days next visit.

If EPM does not offer to satsify your legitimate concerns, then you have a very valid complaint and we would like to hear about it. The hotel should make things right, period.

We did not ask for free days because we felt the resort was deficent in some areas (housekeeping, the beach) but very good overall (food, service people). We are going back because it was relaxing and we were treated well.

goldendonna,

The room we stayed in had a jacuzzi that overlooked the ocean and pool. One afternoon it rained, so the wife and I grabbed some food from the club lounge, a few drinks from the bar and sat in the hot tub and watched the rain. So make sure you get a room with the jacuzzi, because the public ones were not at all hot. I was told the pool heater was not working, but it was fixed by day 3.

There is nothing around the resort. It is in the middle of the jungle. We took a taxi into the local shopping tourist trap. We spent about an hour at Mercadio 28, or "Market 28" and collected some souveniers for our kids. If you leave the resort, expect to be bombarded by merchants who are quite assertive about trying to get you into their store. This is just the way of the world in Mexico.

The Hotel Zone is a $25.00 USD Taxi ride, and it is very Westernized. American capitolisim is in full force on the strip, lots of malls, store, resturants and tourist stuff to do. I rode through it on my way to a dive trip, but I did not stop there.

Also, bring some spanish music CD's. We played them in the room when we were getting ready for dinner or sitting in the hot tub. It added a lot to our enjoyment of the room. It helps make the uinderstocked minibar easier to take!

I hope this helps, enjoy your visit!

venlo nederlands
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

to hb, thanks for your rev , we like to go to the EPM in july after a few days at the ibero grand paraiso, so can you please wright something about the food you had for break, lunch and dinner did you go to any spec rest? so looking forward, because the food and wines are very imp to us , like to go to the clubrooms at EPM.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Thanks for this, so the hotel zone sounds like a strip, and this is not walkable from the EPM, not to worry, as its only $25 a taxi ride we may do this a few times.

Also what are the resturants in the hotel like? are they 24hrs? and is the food good, is the beach as bad as what people are saying?

Many thanks for your help

Don,x

Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

goldendonna,

All the rooms have jacuzzis so I'm sure you will get one. However, the preoblem that we had with the jacuzzi was that it wasn't private at all because it is right next to the balcony and has a huge window with no drapes. So hopefully by the time you go they will have drapes.

The restaurants are good. We really liked the French restaurant. Most restaurants are open from 6pm to 10:30pm and the Lobster Grill is open till 11pm. There are some bars that are open much later. They have one restaurant (Flavor Market) which isn't open yet. The dinner menus are great at all the restaurants. If you are there for a few days then it's nice because you can go to different restaurants for dinner and have some variety. However, the breakfast and lunch can get quite boring if you are staying for a few days because they only have 2 restaurants open offerring the same things daily. One with a menu and one with buffet.

When we were there last week the beach could not be used. We didn't see anyone in the water at the beach. I doubt much will change in 2 weeks.

Honestly though since you are only going in 2 weeks I doubt things will be completely ready so if you are not pleased with your stay ask for a complimentary stay for the future.

Florida
4 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Also, about shopping...you can take taxis but they also have a free shuttle that goes on Saturdays and Tuesdays. We rented a car and didn't find the driving to be as bad as people made it seem. Rental cars are very cheap there. We paid $10 plus insurance a day. It was nice having a car because it gave us a lot of freedom. There is really nice shopping areas by the hotel zone which is about 30 mins from EPM. Also, we didn't find parking to be a problem because there are really cheap valet parking everywhere. We were really scared about driving initially because of things we read on the internet but it was really not bad at all.

Hope that helps.

Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

I am sorry to hear that some people did not have a good stay; all in all we had a good time. This was our first all inclusive beach vacation.

My husband and I stayed at EPM from Sunday 11/4 until Friday 11/9. We booked it by accident thinking we were booking the resort closer to Tulum. A few days before our departure we realized that this was a new resort when we could not find how to get there. My husband sums it up nicely by saying our stay was "roughing it at a luxury level!!" When we arrived there were only about 5 other couples there since it had just opened 2 days prior. They upgraded us to an excellence club level room with ocean view, which was nice to have the ocean view however the excellence club amenities were not available yet. When they took us to our room they said the hammering was all done, they were just doing finishing work. When we looked straight outside our window we saw ocean. When we looked to the right we saw a construction site of more rooms being built. First 3 days were very windy and the wind took the noise with it. The last two there was no wind and construction and hammering starts at 6am!!! We are early birds and it did not bother us, but I can imagine some very pissed off people were probably staying on our floor. We also had small issues with our room not being ready, no mirrors, no do not disturb sign, construction dust, no room service menu etc. We asked the front desk before dinner and by the time we returned they were all in our room. One thing did really peeve me though, although all the rooms amenities and toiletries were not ready in our room throughout our entire stay we asked the concierge for 2 razors (we only travel carry on so we usually just get them from concierge of where we stay) and they had the audacity to charge us 40 pesos for them!!! Of any inconvenience we encountered I do not why but that ticked me off!

The hot tubs are not that private, but we realized where our room was that if we were to hang two towels over our balcony we would be good. If your room faces the main lobby entrance and Chez Isabelle be wary- the waiters were watching people get in and out of the tubs!

Housekeeping does not come until late in the afternoon, and it is different housekeepers that do different things. One actually strips the beds and towels and cleans and another remakes the beds and retowels and a 3rd person does the mini bar. If your do not disturb sign is out during the minibar guy he does not come back unless you call down and request it.

We were a little impressed by the quality of the food. We live in NY with probably some of the best restaurants and best service around and defiantly spoiled by it! Something worth noting is that although your server seems to speak English, it is not their native language. Speak slow and clear and understand that if you stray from the menu with requests it probably will not be what you had in mind. That being said often the menu did not match what came out but we were never unhappy. Very disappointed that the flavor market was not open, but the restaurant is about pairing food and wines and frankly I do not think the staff if ready for that yet- Our favorite restaurant is the lobster house and grill. You can get both menus at either location. The baby back ribs are fantastic. We enjoyed the hibachi, we got to meet some nice people there, wish we had gotten email addresses :( but did not think of it at the time. Breakfast buffet and lunch at Barcelona was excellent. We are not buffet people but they had a fresh omelet bar and fresh stir-fry bar and sushi at lunch. You can get espresso or cappuccino for breakfast, just ask. We did not eat at the Italian place, we are in Italy about once a year and do not try to replicate it (!) Most of the restaurants are only open for dinner and about 1-2 are closed a night so we did not get to try agave. We did not care for the French restaurant but I think we are not French food types so don't go by my take on it, everyone we spoke with loved it. The restaurants are not open 24 hrs, they all have different times, however room service is available 24 hours with a limited menu and you never need reservations at any restaurant.

Spa was not open, gym not open, game room not open, no shops open. Beach was def. a mess, but they were working on it while we were there and by our last day there spa was opened and parts of the beach were cleaned. (by dirty its a type of seaweed, we grew up on the ocean so it did not bother us, however I can see it bothering someone who only gets to the ocean on vacation!)

Everyone we encountered was happy and pleasant and willing to do anything to make us happy. (Although we filled out a survey very honestly we were not comp'd a stay. I will be writing a letter!)

We rented a car and everything I read before we left said to get all available insurance, which I kind of thought ridiculous b/c it takes a $10 day rental and makes it an $75 a day rental but I did it anyway, and it is a good thing too- we pulled out of the airport, stopped at the first stop sign and were rear-ended by a taxi!!! The lady at Hertz told us it happens constantly. It is about $30 to downtown cancun via cab. If you drive, the resort is not on a map, but you will be heading towards punta sam.

We were a little annoyed by the inconveniences, but all in all we had a great stay. Be aware, because it is a new hotel it is not crowded. We considered asking them to switch us to the other resort but loved the fact that it was so quiet. It was not uncommon to be the only people in the club pool where our room was. We wanted a quiet relaxed week and that is what we got!! We both think the resort has excellent potential for the future. I will try to download my photos tonight or tomorrow for anyone interested. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Patchogue, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

I am sorry to hear that some people did not have a good stay; all in all we had a good time. This was our first all inclusive beach vacation.

My husband and I stayed at EPM from Sunday 11/4 until Friday 11/9. We booked it by accident thinking we were booking the resort closer to Tulum. A few days before our departure we realized that this was a new resort when we could not find how to get there. My husband sums it up nicely by saying our stay was "roughing it at a luxury level!!" When we arrived there were only about 5 other couples there since it had just opened 2 days prior. They upgraded us to an excellence club level room with ocean view, which was nice to have the ocean view however the excellence club amenities were not available yet. When they took us to our room they said the hammering was all done, they were just doing finishing work. When we looked straight outside our window we saw ocean. When we looked to the right we saw a construction site of more rooms being built. First 3 days were very windy and the wind took the noise with it. The last two there was no wind and construction and hammering starts at 6am!!! We are early birds and it did not bother us, but I can imagine some very pissed off people were probably staying on our floor. We also had small issues with our room not being ready, no mirrors, no do not disturb sign, construction dust, no room service menu etc. We asked the front desk before dinner and by the time we returned they were all in our room. One thing did really peeve me though, although all the rooms amenities and toiletries were not ready in our room throughout our entire stay we asked the concierge for 2 razors (we only travel carry on so we usually just get them from concierge of where we stay) and they had the audacity to charge us 40 pesos for them!!! Of any inconvenience we encountered I do not why but that ticked me off!

The hot tubs are not that private, but we realized where our room was that if we were to hang two towels over our balcony we would be good. If your room faces the main lobby entrance and Chez Isabelle be wary- the waiters were watching people get in and out of the tubs!

Housekeeping does not come until late in the afternoon, and it is different housekeepers that do different things. One actually strips the beds and towels and cleans and another remakes the beds and retowels and a 3rd person does the mini bar. If your do not disturb sign is out during the minibar guy he does not come back unless you call down and request it.

We were a little impressed by the quality of the food. We live in NY with probably some of the best restaurants and best service around and defiantly spoiled by it! Something worth noting is that although your server seems to speak English, it is not their native language. Speak slow and clear and understand that if you stray from the menu with requests it probably will not be what you had in mind. That being said often the menu did not match what came out but we were never unhappy. Very disappointed that the flavor market was not open, but the restaurant is about pairing food and wines and frankly I do not think the staff if ready for that yet- Our favorite restaurant is the lobster house and grill. You can get both menus at either location. The baby back ribs are fantastic. We enjoyed the hibachi, we got to meet some nice people there, wish we had gotten email addresses :( but did not think of it at the time. Breakfast buffet and lunch at Barcelona was excellent. We are not buffet people but they had a fresh omelet bar and fresh stir-fry bar and sushi at lunch. You can get espresso or cappuccino for breakfast, just ask. We did not eat at the Italian place, we are in Italy about once a year and do not try to replicate it (!) Most of the restaurants are only open for dinner and about 1-2 are closed a night so we did not get to try agave. We did not care for the French restaurant but I think we are not French food types so don't go by my take on it, everyone we spoke with loved it. The restaurants are not open 24 hrs, they all have different times, however room service is available 24 hours with a limited menu and you never need reservations at any restaurant.

Spa was not open, gym not open, game room not open, no shops open. Beach was def. a mess, but they were working on it while we were there and by our last day there spa was opened and parts of the beach were cleaned. (by dirty its a type of seaweed, we grew up on the ocean so it did not bother us, however I can see it bothering someone who only gets to the ocean on vacation!)

Everyone we encountered was happy and pleasant and willing to do anything to make us happy. (Although we filled out a survey very honestly we were not comp'd a stay. I will be writing a letter!)

We rented a car and everything I read before we left said to get all available insurance, which I kind of thought ridiculous b/c it takes a $10 day rental and makes it an $75 a day rental but I did it anyway, and it is a good thing too- we pulled out of the airport, stopped at the first stop sign and were rear-ended by a taxi!!! The lady at Hertz told us it happens constantly. It is about $30 to downtown cancun via cab. If you drive, the resort is not on a map, but you will be heading towards punta sam.

We were a little annoyed by the inconveniences, but all in all we had a great stay. Be aware, because it is a new hotel it is not crowded. We considered asking them to switch us to the other resort but loved the fact that it was so quiet. It was not uncommon to be the only people in the club pool where our room was. We wanted a quiet relaxed week and that is what we got!! We both think the resort has excellent potential for the future. I will try to download my photos tonight or tomorrow for anyone interested. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Los Angeles
1 post
Save Reply
48. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

It is open, construction of additional facilities are still in progress. We had a wonderful time there. All the hotel staff are more than happy to serve you in any way they can. They are apx. 30% occupied as of end of November/07. Make sure you get transportation from the airport to the hotel arranged in advance otherwise you will be at the mercy of the local taxi sharks. $73 or less, one way! price should be apx. $35.

The facility is NOT in downtown Cancun which is a very good thing. Do NOT book sight-seeing tours online as most are non-refundable and you will need your own transportation to downtown Cancun (taxi) to be picked up for them! Just arrange through the hotel once you arrive and they should be able to help you with every need including transportation.

Bring mosquito repellant or spray in case you need it.

The service is absolutely the best we have experienced and we felt very comfortable and relaxed in this magnificent resort.

Cornwall
1 post
Save Reply
49. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

hi we are going there on tuesday for 2 weeks yes it is fully open as we have asked the hotel go on there website the pictures look amazing can't wait i'lll post when i am back

Wales
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Excellence Playa Mujeres

Hi, we went to this hotel on the 4th November. We had a great time, the staff were excellent, the food was better than any other AI hotel I've been to. Rooms were fabulous, the specifications were also fantastic. French resteraunt was our favourite we ate there 3 times in our 14 night stay.

The entertainment staff tried their best at all times considering the teething problems, if you were willing to have fun then you will have fun. Hello to Myra, Ivonne, Ulesies, Miguel, Hugo, Erc, Roberto, Manuel our favourite waiter and last but not least Isacc. Yes there are teething problems, to which the manger explained would be rectified and true to his word the hotel came on leaps and bounds day after day.

We expected some work to be ongoing but what can you expect if your paying these prices. Any one who has been there will tell you that this hotel will be fantastic and live up to the Excellence name by Jan 2008.

I'm also sure that the prices your booking at now will not be the same this time next year! I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to go to the Cancun area, from what I have seen and heard even with the small problems it is heads and shoulders above the rest. We are returning next November and taking advatage of the lower prices that are now being advertised.

We met great friends and some of them said this hotel is better than a Sandals holiday they went on, others have stayed in Cancun 3 times before and stayed at the other Excellence and various others, they also preferred this hotel.

We swam with Dolphins on Isla Mujeres, visited the Myan temples, went on a wreck dive and went shopping in the strip. I was not dissapointed.

Hope this helps.