We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avalon status

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Avalon status

Does anyone have an update on Avalon Reef? We are booked there this Sat 1/20 for a week..... wondering if I should be prepared with a specific back-up plan? Also, do they generally send an email confirmation for their airport to Ferry transport?

Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,960 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avalon status

I just got back from Isla yesterday. Avalon seemed to be operating as usual, although without the time share 'sharks'. We met people who were staying there and they had no complaints. I heard that the place is 'in receivership', but it's still open. I'd be real leery booking too far ahead, but my guess is you'll be fine next week.

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avalon status

Every time I've stayed there, they've sent me a confirmation e-mail. You'll need to print it up once you receive it and present it to the Avalon shuttle driver at the airport. First though, you'll need to book your transportation via the Avalon site. Hope this helps and have a great trip. :)

Marblehead, Ohio
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avalon status

At this time, there are no plans to close the doors at any of the Avalon resorts, but that could change at any time. We have reservations in March, and we purchased "Trip Assist" insurance through our local AAA. This insurance covers what we paid for our flight and the accomendations, if come March 10th, the doors are closed. Very reasonably priced insurance for peace of mind. Hope this helps someone out there. Enjoy your trip, and look forward to seeing you post what is happening in Isla on your return.

Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Avalon status

Here now, all is great! Details to follow upon my return....

Syracuse,NY
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Avalon status

Great to hear they are still up and running. We went last year and had a great time and are going again Feb 24th for a week. Just hope they continue to honor existing reservations! Let us know if you hear anything more! THX!

Michigan
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Avalon status

Returned from Avalon Reef yesterday, the resort is actually the best I've seen it in the past 3 years.... Landscaping is still being upgraded, the kids ship area was getting a fresh coat of paint, new room darkening drapes were being put in all the rooms, staff was plentiful and accomodating, our room was clean each day by 1:00 at the latest, we never had to ask for towels, wash cloths, coffee or water! But I was surprised since just May of 2006 how much of the beach has been lost at Avalon and across.... On another note, maybe others know this, but we didn't realize until this trip that Avalon is more than happy to exchange American dollars for Peso's at the front desk. Hope others have the same positive experience at Avalon as we did.

Navarre, Florida
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avalon status

I am glad the front desk might be more user friendly. The last time we were there, I asked the man behind the counter for change for a $20 bill. He gave me several large peso bills and some change. I asked him if he had anything smaller and he said no. However, he gave the guy behind me a handful of single peso bills in exchange. Go figure.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avalon status

Where is the Avalon Reef located? Playa Norte?

Florida
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Avalon status

Avalon Reef is on an island east of Playa Norte The Avalon beach and the eastern end of Playa Norte have both experienced erosion in the past few months..

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avalon status

I was at Playa Norte a couple weeks ago and the beach was incredible. (I believe I was west of this condo). I even heard that hurricane Wilma benefitted the beach by bringing in lots of sand (lost from Cancun). In any case, Playa Norte is awesome.