We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

week (or two) of touring outside of Merida

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
176 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
week (or two) of touring outside of Merida

My family of 5 (3 boys between 6 and 10) will be meeting friends in Merida on July 10. We have two weeks prior to tour by rental car the peninsula. I was hoping an experienced Yucatecan could provide a few suggestions for not-to-miss spots. We also would like to spend some time on the beach and are deciding between the north coast, or taking the time to drive to Akumal or somewhere around there. If there's some really terrific place to stay anywhere in the colonial towns, the beach, or near the cenotes (private house or hotel) we would love suggestions. Thanks in advance. Ann

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: week (or two) of touring outside of Merida

Since we take our grandsons to the Yucatan on a regular basis, I will list their four favorite places:

Isla Holbox to see the whale sharks, dolphins, and flamingos, and to just beach it every day

CrocoCun Zoo near Puerto Morelos - a never-miss

Hacienda Chalante south of Izamal for the fresh water swimming pool and horseback riding

Hotel Meson del Marques on the square in Valladolid for the pool, the ice cream, a visit to Ek Balam, and the Restaurant Plaza Maya for bandejas de comida Yucateca.

There are more place to see and visit yet, but last summer we went to the Black Hills and Yellowstone park. This summer we are visiting Indiana's State Parks. So many things to see and do and so little time!

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: week (or two) of touring outside of Merida

I would rent a car in Merida and drive east to visit Chichen Itza and spend the night in Valladolid, I like the Luz on the Plaza, eat at Restaurant Zaci with its cenote for a before lunch swim...next day up to the ruins of Ek Balam and up to Rio Lagartos for a boat ride to see the pink flamingos and crocks...on to Isla Mujeres, north beach swimming and south island Garrifon Reef snorkeling...down to Tulum ruins, beaches, Xel-ha lagoon and cenotes...Maybe the ruta puuc with Lotun Caves, Mayapan, Progreso,etc...have fun

IHX
Atenas, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: week (or two) of touring outside of Merida

Many of those things work for young children, especially Valladolid, Ek Balam, Rio Lagartos, Isla Mujeres, and Tulum Ruins, but I would stay away from Chichen Itza and Ruta Puuc. We have found CI and Uxmal are just too large for younger than 10, and in July they will be especially hot. Even Ek Balam needs to be done early in the morning with plenty of water. I have been to the caves at Lotun and do not need to go back, but then I don't find caves fascinating. We have a lot of them here in southern Indiana also.

Merida
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: week (or two) of touring outside of Merida

Definitely Holbox is a great idea! Swimming with the whale sharks or just watching them will be a great treat for the kids and adults. Consider it a great option.

5. Re: week (or two) of touring outside of Merida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 07:28