We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machines

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
219 posts
269 reviews
Save Topic
ATM machines

Are there lots of ATM machines in Merida? The people we are visiting there don't know about ATM machines.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,726 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM machines

Merida is a big city---ATMs everywhere. I use them much when in Merida.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
219 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM machines

Thank you for the ATM info. I will not worry.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM machines

ATM's abound, yes. You can also pay for things in most stores with debit and credit cards, from gas stations to Oxxo to Comercial Mexicana to the movies, thereby ensuring the most up to date exchange rate.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM machines

There are ATMs in Merida, but not so much in the surrounding areas. So if you are going to Izamal or Dzibilchaltun or somewhere outside of the city, be sure to bring cash.

Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM machines

There is at least one ATM near the plaza in Izamal that I have used a number of times... so no problem there. Don't recall seeing any at the tourist center at the ruins of Dzibilchultun, or in Celestun (although it's been a few years since I was there).

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM machines

There's one at Uxmal and another at Chichen as well. None at Dzibilchaltun.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
219 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM machines

I have just returned from two weeks in Merida. There are many ATM machines there. The people we were staying with don't use them and were not use to the term ATM. I agree, get your money in the big cities. Credit cards and ATM are not used much in the country side or "jungle".

It seems the locals are taxed (20%) on the money they keep in the bank, so many people don't use banks the way we do in the USA.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM machines

There are ATM's in Izamal.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM machines

The one bank in Izamal, Banorte, has an ATM. Banamex has an easy to miss ATM at the Pemex station coming into town from Merida. I believe it is HSBC that has an ATM located in a store.

In general, in Mexico, do not count on ATMs having money at the end of a weekend or a holiday weekend, nor having small denomination bills useful with small merchants.

The Banorte ATM at Uxmal is inside the small, attractive plaza store complex.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM machines

To DenverDanny: I never heard of a 20% tax on personal bank accounts. There is a 2% tax on cash deposits that, at month's end, total over a certain amount. There is no tax on inter-bank transfers or checks deposited.

Supposedly, banking here is much easier than it was in Mexico, say, 20 years ago. Good grief! It is still highly bureaucratic, tediously slow, and basically aggravating. Writing a check is a task I will not bother to master. Any deviation in your signature from the way you originally wrote it on opening your account voids the check. Branch bank managers seem to have no ability to help. With Banorte, I have to try to reach their fools in Monterrey by phone. When I enter my bank account number in response to the mechanical voice's instructions, I am told it is not a valid number; sometimes the voice accepts my ATM card number. I could go on, but I think you get the idea that banking is a major challenge here. And then of course, numerically at least half of Mexicans live day to day and do not have extra cash to deposit.