We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Synagogue in Merida?

Canada
Level Contributor
112 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Synagogue in Merida?

Are there any synagogues or jewish community centres in Merida?

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Synagogue in Merida?

No, as far as we know there are no synagogues or Jewish community centers in Merida.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Synagogue in Merida?

There are Chabad centers in Q.R., in Cozumel and Cancun, and supposedly a small conservative synagogue in Cancun. An Israeli Kosher wine has been available at the Europa wine/liquor chain in Cancun and, I believe, Playa del Carmen.

There is no organized Jewish center in the state of Yucatan.

The small Jewish "community" of Merida tries to get together for major holidays, with successful social gatherings and usually far less than a minyan for services. A few of us intend to start Friday night gatherings with at least an abbreviated service. Unfortunately, we are spread out from the center of town through the northern parts of Merida, so for the few of us for whom it matters, Sabbath observance and attending a Friday service are incompatible. There is no way one can say Kaddish here normally.

For those visiting, there are abundant fresh fruits and vegetables. There is no K-D cheese, but some cheese from the U.S. use enzymes instead of rennet, including the Elite brand, Scattered Kosher certified foods, from the U.S. and Mexico City, can be found in Costco, Wallmart (incl. Sam's Club and Superama), and less so in Chedraui and Sorianna supermarkets. There is plenty of fresh fish, even Kosher varieties, but obviously no Kosher restaurant. To my knowledge, there is only one exclusively vegetarian, little known restaurant, in Merida's Garcia Gineres neighborhood on Calle 33-B. Otherwise, all restaurants cook pork, other meats, pork, shell fish, pork... with Yucatecans having any money seemingly eating meat 3x/day.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Synagogue in Merida?

Yes, we loves our pork here in the Yucatan!

Dallas, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Synagogue in Merida?

I hope you eat the kosher type!

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Synagogue in Merida?

Kosher or non kosher pork, it´s all good! What the heck is the point of kosher anyway; it's 2010 not 23 AD.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
425 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Synagogue in Merida?

I passed a synagoga in Telchac Puerto, I believe. Private message me and I'll send you a picture :)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
425 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Synagogue in Merida?

But then again, it could have been something else.

8. Re: Synagogue in Merida?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 07:17