We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Merida -- worth doing or is the bus a better...

TO
1 post
Save Topic
car rental in Merida -- worth doing or is the bus a better...

We are going to be in Merida for one week only and are debating whether or not it is worth renting a car, or is public transit a better choice. I'd like to get out to Progresso, and other areas... not sure just where. Tips on that as well as Merida would be appreciated

Thanks

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in Merida -- worth doing or is the bus a better...

It's better to rent a car.

Yo can move evrywhere at your own, at your time.

Buses doesn´t go to all the places.

Regards

San Francisco
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Merida -- worth doing or is the bus a better...

We had a car for three days of our week, and wish we'd had it for the whole time. It's not cheap because of insurance costs, but the flexibility it offers is worth it. You can spend much more time at the various sites with your own transportation than you can on day tours, and some of the more interesting places are not served by public buses, not being near towns.

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Merida -- worth doing or is the bus a better...

We took a first class bus from Cancun to the Fiesta Americana bus station - very nice; top of the line.

We took a second class bus to Progreso and Celestun. We took a second class bus back to Cancun from Piste. We took a bus tour in town. They took the time to explain things to us in English even though we were the only ones on the bus that spoke English. While driving I would not have seen half of the things I did while on the bus because I did not have to pay attention to the road.

Sometimes it's best just to leave the driving to guys that do it for a living and relax and enjoy the sights.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Merida -- worth doing or is the bus a better...

definitely a car... things in this part of Mexico are far from each other and relying on buses just leaves you at others timetables.

We found the rental fairly inexpensive and it gave us the leisure of driving to Uxmal or one of the cenotes etc and taking our own time to see the sights...

I rent a car every year in Mexico and have never had a problem, just make sure you are FIRM with the rental agent about price...

Will