We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza and Merida

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Topic
Chichen Itza and Merida

Can we (should we) buy admission tickets to Chichen Itza ahead of our trip or are they available only in person on the day of our arrival there? Will one ticket per person cover both the sound and light show that we'll be seeing on a Monday night, followed by our visit to the ruins next morning (Tuesday), or will we have to buy tickets separately for each since they will be on different days? On Monday we will not be exploring the ruins, just taking in the evening show.

On another tangent, regarding bottled water, any recommendations brand-wise and best places to buy? Is bottled water available at Uxmal and Chichen Itza? I know that Meridans posting on this forum have reported no problems at all with local water, but with my fractious tummy, I'd rather not take any chances!

Mentioned in this post
Uxmal
Uxmal
202 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza and Merida

I'm not sure how the whole ticket thing is working out for you since you have a few events to attend, but when I went during solstice, admission at Chichen at the door was no problem even with all the people. As far as I know the only way you can get tickets ahead of time is to go through an event organizer (like the ones in Merida). But, it's been a while since I've been down there.. things change.

Any brand of bottled water is fine, don't worry. They're all the same. There is water at Uxmal and Chichen, but it's CRAZY expensive. Do not pay for it. Bring your own. Go to Chedraui or Super Maz or some kind of supermarket or at least a convenience store and buy a few liters.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Uxmal
Uxmal
202 Reviews
Muna, Mexico
U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza and Merida

If you could bring back just one souvenir evocative of Meridan/Yucatan/Mayan culture, what would it be? I'd love to hear your responses...thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Mayan Palace at Vidanta Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace at Vidanta...
4,366 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza and Merida

I brought back many souveniers while I was there, but if I had to choose just one it would definitely be my Mexican blanket. I think it, more than anything else, sums up Mexico. Fun, down to earth and warm.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Mexico
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichen Itza and Merida

I live in Merida and I dont drink the local water either. All the bottled water is the same.

Just buy your tickets to Chichen when you get there. THey never run out and its the same price.

Bottled water is available everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichen Itza and Merida

MandM01, we just got back and I read your post..thanks! I ended up getting a lovely reproduction of a Mayan plate.

Fields: yes, bottled water ( or as all the waiters said, "agua purificada") was no problem at all. Chichen Itza and Uxmal were awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Uxmal
Uxmal
202 Reviews
Muna, Mexico