We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida city cemetery

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
540 posts
284 reviews
Save Topic
Merida city cemetery

Anyone been to the Merida cemetery? I've heard it's beautiful but I'm not sure where it is or wether it's worth visiting.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida city cemetery

You learn something every day, don't you? I didn't know there was a Cementario General, but you'll see that it's close to Avenida Itzaes as it approaches the airport, wikimapia.org/15627511/…A9rida

It has just been selected for a makeover, with a view to bringing it back to life! This video shows that decision as being dead right, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMHs2Tapsm8

You'll have to decide if it grabs you.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,580 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida city cemetery

:D

Sounds deadly.

Seriously though: Most cemeteries around here are interesting and highly photogenic, if you find this sort of stuff interesting. I do. There are some photos of a small cemetery in PIste on my FB page at: www.facebook.com/media/set/… which will give you an idea. The Merida cemetery is HUGE.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,616 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida city cemetery

I found the Cementario General the same way I find many things-- I was on the wrong bus. Looked impressive and, now that I know how to get there, I will return to take a look.

Edited: 24 November 2011, 12:19
Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merida city cemetery

There are two cemeteries to the south of L'Ermita... if you continue past L'Ermita on Calle 66, about 5 or 6 blocks later, you will come to the entrance of both. I forget what they are called :) but they are both interesting to walk around in. The larger one (the main entrance is on Calle 81 towards Itzaes and just past our house...) has the beautiful fancy mausoleums of Merida's wealthiest families. There are beautiful statues in there, and that is where Felipe Carrillo Puerto was killed and is buried.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Merida city cemetery

I believe the names of the cemeteries are Panteon Florido (which is next to or part of or the name of the Cementario General) and Panteon Jardines del Recuerdo. When I was researching Felipe Carrillo Puerto and Alma Reed (her ashes are buried across the road from FCP) I had a lot of problems finding the cemetery and then finding the burial spot, even though FCP is in a giant monument. But everybody in the area knows where it is, so don't hesitate to ask.

Here's a romanticized article about who they were: mexconnect.com/articles/363-the-tragic-love-…

Have a great trip!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Merida city cemetery

any suggestion of which bus from either the Santa Lucia or Santiago neighborhoods would go to the Calle 81 toward Itzaes one? or is it walking distance?

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
540 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Merida city cemetery

I'm staying near the Zocalo. Anyone know which bus to take to get to the cemetery ? I love to walk but it looks too far.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Merida city cemetery

Looking at www.merida.gob.mx/transporte/paraderos.htm Route 79 (Aviación) looks a good option but check the map they include and cross reference to the Google map in my original post.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Merida city cemetery

Thank you!

10. Re: Merida city cemetery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:40