We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a trip to Merida, mex. in the fall.

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mahopac, New York
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a trip to Merida, mex. in the fall.

We r planning a trip to Merida then to Cancun. We are not Sure if we are driving or flying to Cancun from Merida. Question is it necessary to rent a car in Merida ? Thank fellow tripadvisors.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a trip to Merida, mex. in the fall.

No, your question is unclear to me, but if it is about ways to get from M to C, there is excellent and frequent bus service. The website for this is...

ado.com.mx

If your question is about whether you need a car while in M, my answer would still be no, but a few others will differ. it depends on what you want to do and the level of independence you want if you choose to visit Uxmal, a hacienda, Celestun, Ixmal, etc. There are plenty of tours available...as are daily car rentals.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a trip to Merida, mex. in the fall.

Also, it might be easier and cheaper to do things the other way around, flying in and out of C.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
12 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a trip to Merida, mex. in the fall.

You don't really need a car in Merida at all. The buses are good and easy to get around on foot too. If you want to go further afield to Chichen Itza, Uxmal etc, there are many buses and tours available.

I can recommend a lovely guesthouse just 10 mins walk from the centre of Merida if you are looking for a place to stay. I have stayed at Casa Don Alfredo 3 times and it is in a great location and very reasonably priced. www.casadonalfredo.com

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a trip to Merida, mex. in the fall.

After my recent trip to Merida via Mexico City on Aero Mexico, I will gladly fly to Cancun and deal with the bus transfer and 4-5 hour bus ride to Merida! Love Mexico City. Aero Mexico - not so much. The bus was painless the first time - should have stuck with that route instead of getting fancy!

You dont need a car in Merida but it would be good to have one to explore the ruins, cenotes, haciendas nearby. You can always hire someone like Bill Lawson to drive you around.

suitcaseready.com

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a trip to Merida, mex. in the fall.

Yeah, I'd say no car necessary. Check www.turitransmerida.com.mx for prices for tours. They would be a good option.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
533 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a trip to Merida, mex. in the fall.

We just spent 2 weeks between Merida, Izamal, and Valladolid. We never used a car. Because there were 7 of us we hired a van to drive us from Cancun to Merida(only a few bucks more than the bus fare and much quicker), then used local buses to get to Izamal and Valladolid. The buses are incredibly cheap, comfortable and go almost anywhere.

7. Re: Planning a trip to Merida, mex. in the fall.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2013, 10:16