We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plaza Grande Updates?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Plaza Grande Updates?

I't's been a week now since the reopening, and the commentary in today's paper is not good...unless you enjoy words like...chaos...garbage...crowds...noise. Hopefully (for us anyway) this is due to Navidad, but wondering if anybody has passed by lately who can give a first-hand opinion?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,556 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

Oh, and please tell us whether they've painted the benches white. I hope not.

One thing I liked about Merida (vs Valladolid) was that you could tell if you're about to sit on bird poop. Merida invited sitting and lingering, Valladolid with its dirty-white benches didn't, for that simple reason alone.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,004 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

I was last in the park on Wednesday and it was chaos, crowds, noise. But so was all of the center. It was terrible, dont know why I ever went there near the Christmas holiday. Oh, and the benches looked the same.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

Re the benches, the same would be good, RSDF. According to the article, several of them are broken/damaged. I didn't notice that last time, so I hope repairs are on their to-do list....Most likely it's been a big job, and it will all just take more time...and more money.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

I was there about a week ago. The biggest improvement I could see is that all the walkways have been resurfaced. I believe the little rails around the garden areas have been replaced (or at least where they were damaged). But there were still uplights missing (empty holes where they will be eventually), and escombro (construction trash) in places where it shouldn't be. I'm sure they rushed to accommodate the holidays, but it will all be made nice eventually. The white "conversation" chairs had all been repainted, but the benches appeared untouched.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
131 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

I walked this way to the market today. They were placing some bricks down and concreting some other areas. The benches are still green and black so no changes there. I was walking through around 7:30 am and was surprised to see guys working already.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,004 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

I have heard they are rushing things for two reasons. One, merchant complaints and two, Federal funding was going to be lost if not completed by the end of the year. As someone mentioned before, Merida was really behind on this restoration project. For example , San Cristobal , Chiapas started their historic center government project long ago and have done an outstanding job.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,749 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

So...From what I read today, this "Caos de Navidad' thing is normal, has nothing to do with the reconstruction, and crews have been out early the past couple of mornings cleaning everything up. Maybe this is pretty much a closed topic. Orale!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,004 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

It really was not normal this season but looks like things will be wrapped up soon in the Plaza.

Agree with YL, the benches did appear untouched but maybe thats yet to come. That can be done little by little. I was amused in San Cristobal that they chose to repaint all the benches in the main plaza on the same day. Seems like it would have been good to do a few at a time and leave a place to sit. Oh, and they also only put wet paint signs on a few, leaving many with newly painted clothes.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

That's hilarious :-)

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plaza Grande Updates?

The plaza grande looks great. We've been using it as our point of reference for the last week and it's 99% done. I've been exploring all the little parks and they all are looking really good. Nothing like the shade a park offers in the Merida heat.