We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation in Merida, sola

Edmonton, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Accomodation in Merida, sola

I'll be travelling to Merida by myself at the end of April. I'm looking for accomodation recommendations likely in the old part of the town. I'd like something with some cool character and a bit more than just a bed! Ideally, priced around $60USD /night, but flexible on that for the right place. Someplace safe, fun & clean. Any thoughts that would help me out. I usually like the off the beaten path sort of place.

Thanks!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,412 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

I like the Hotel Trinidad--it also seems to fit what you are looking for. Check their website--a very nice place at much less than your $65 price!

Pasco, wa
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

You might also check out the Luz En Yucatan. It's an old nunnery and is near the old cathedral. It's about 4 blocks from the downtown area.It's listed down this page.

Edmonton, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

At this time of year do I need to book in advcance or can I just show up and see what I like the look of?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,412 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

Good question, dont really know the answer. I always book the Trinidad on line for one night (no deposit required) and then extend as I go along. You might want to think about this option and then could look around once you arrive.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

Always a good idea to book first.

Olmsted Falls, Ohio
Level Contributor
462 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

I would heartily recommend Luz en Yucatan. Very safe, delightful atmosphere, and a really helpful owner. Read all the reviews that have been posted on this site. The most expensive room, the penthouse apartment is $73 per night.

The hotel has a website through which you can make reservations, and the owner is very good about replying to your e-mails within 24 hrs.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

I totally concur!! Luz is definitely the place. If Luz is full, try Las Arecas. Also right downtown, inexpensive and with a great owner, Mauro. He'll bend over backwards to help you out...he's very sweet. And he has some lovely and spacious rooms.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

The Luz En Yucatan has a ton of character--every room is different than the last. We stayed in Osito, and even our bathroom door was stained glass, and we paid less than $50/night. There are dining areas, communal living areas with its own free mini-bar, pool and garden, and the best part is that its close to everything.

Edmonton, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

I'm convinced! The luz it is...now I hope they have space.

THanks for all the advice!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodation in Merida, sola

Hi

I'd also like to recommend Cascadas de Merida which is about a 5 minute walk to Santiago park and about 10 minutes to Calle 60. Myself and my friend (2 women) stayed there recently and loved it. The hosts are wonderful. The single rate I believe is $67 which includes a great breakfast. Only 4 rooms there so you really feel like you own the place. Don't miss the hammocks by the pool in the afternoon. But wherever you stay, Merida is very safe for a woman. We walked in and back from town after dark every night and never had a problem. It's a wonderful place to spend some time.

Get answers to your questions about Merida