We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is three nights enough to see Merida?

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
Level Contributor
161 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Is three nights enough to see Merida?

First Day: We plan on seeing Chitzen Itza and Izamal on our way to Merida from Valladolid. Once in Merida we will stay close to our hotel

Second day: Can I fit Uxmal, Sotuta de Peon Hacienda and the Eco Museo de Cacao in one day and Noche Mexicana in the evening? Which of those would I cut?

Third day: Merida markets, Paseo de Montejo and museum. Maybe I could do the Hacienda this day instead

Fourth day? Head to Playa de Carmen or Puerto Morelos for relaxing end of trip (four nights there) Can I cut the Riviera Maya to three and be happy being this is the first time for us in the Yucatan?

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

Day One is doable provided you aren't dallying in Valladolid in the morning.

Day Two is way too full IMO. I'd make the Cacao museum optional. If it's close to sunset, skip it and beat it back to Merida. You need to be back in Merida before dark, and because of this you will have plenty of opportunity to rest a bit before going to the Noche Mexicana, something I enjoy when I'm there.

Day Three. Looks great, although I'd spend it all in Merida as this is the only day you have to explore there.

Day Four. It's a lot of driving from Merida to Puerto Morelos/Playa. I'd break it up with maybe a stop at Ek Balam or even better, Coba. Full day of travel but worth it.

I'm not a beach person so four days on the coast is not my thing. But it's a beautiful coast and very relaxing. Up to you whether you should add another day on the western side of the Peninsula. You won't lack for things to do.

Have a great trip!

kansas
Level Contributor
161 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

I like the idea of breaking the trip up back to Puerto Morelos via Coba. We will have already seen Ek Balaam, Chitzen Itza and Uxmal. Three ruins and another? Are they that different? By Coba is Punta Laguna where there is suppose to be monkeys. That would be nice to walk through the jungle a bit. The Cocoa museum sounded interesting but I agree that I would be pushing too much in one day. Maybe I could do Uxmal and the Cocoa museum one day and fit in the Hacienda (closer to Merida) another?

Any other opinions are welcome!

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

I agree with my esteemed colleague, re: day two.

IMHO the Museo del Cacao and Uxmal would make for one solid day trip. There a gazillion other things to do along that very route so you could fill it up with more fun items if you are up to it.

If you take the 10 AM Sotuta de Peon tour you will be done around 2 PM and can then have the afternoon in Merida or whatever.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

I was there for the first time a couple weeks ago. We had Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. Honestly, we spent a lot of time wandering the Centro area, saw a lot of the churches, spent time in parks, saw Noche Mexicana, Merida en Domingo, etc. Even after those ~2.5 days, I kind of feel like we barely scratched the surface of what's available.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

While the ruins at Coba are not as interesting as Uxmal, Ek Balam, and Chichen, they are of a slightly different style, plus there are several interesting stelae, and the tallest pyramid on the peninsula to climb. The site is so big, you need to rent bicycles to get around, which is a lot of fun. I can't speak to the monkeys, because that's not my thing.

I would follow Bill's advice, re: Uxmal, cacao museo, and the hacienda, as he has been to the chocolate museum and I have not. Besides, I'm more of a ruins kind of guy, and the other sites by Uxmal -- Sayil, Kabah, Labna, and that great cavern Loltun -- are of greater interest.

Mexico
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

Ek Balam, Chichen Itza and Uxmal are completely different from each other and well worth.

And just to add more complexity to your decisions I´d strongly recommend you to visit Celestún Biosphere Reserve and its flamingo colony, 1 hr drive from Merida.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,205 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

maybe throw in a cenote instead of Coba on the way back? They usually have changing places so you wont be sitting in the car in a wet bathing suit the whole way back to Puerto Morelos.

suitcaseready.com

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

Cometo - Do you think it's necessary to stop in Celestun if travelling onto Holbox (and perhaps Contoy Island)? Also - about staying in Merida - it would save you a tonne of time if the hotel you reserve is located close to all the action - although I'm not sure - how loud will that be?? Can a person sleep at night if they are close to the festivities?

Regarding Uxmal and the other activities nearby, would it help you to stay nearer to the ruins for this? So, say a stay in Merida, and a separate stay for a night or two outside of town (this would lengthen your day and enable you to see the Uxmal light show).

Mexico
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

Hi mommy_barbie,

You can also see flamingos in Holbox and Contoy Island but never in the amounts you see in Celestún or Ria Lagartos. Celestún, in addition, has an incredible mangroove forest.

Merida is certainly the best place for staying while exploring lots of attractions like Uxmal, and the Puuc route sites (Kabah, Labná, Sayil) to the south; Dzibilchaltún to the north; Izamal and even Chichen Itzá to the east and Celestún to the west, among many more. Cenotes (sinkholes) are all over the peninsula.

I´d say staying in Uxmal would be OK if you come from the south (i.e. Campeche) in the way to Mérida. If your trip begins in Mérida or the Riviera Maya area, I´d stay in Mérida for exploring the west side of the peninsula.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is three nights enough to see Merida?

This helps - thank you for replying. Wondering if we should change our plans to visit Holbox, and instead drive back toward Cancun with a stop at Rio Lagartos. Then we would spend the last days of vacation, not on Holbox, but nearer to the Cancun airport, somewhere on the Mexican Riviera that is close to Crococun and Xcaret.

This gives our own group two options:

- spend an extra day in the Merida area and see Flamingos at Celestun (and keep our beach time plans to visit Holbox for the last few days of our trip) - OR

- still visit Merida (and Uxmal) but see Rio Lagartos on route back to the Riviera for our beach time and Crococun (which we won't be able to see w/above plan)

Wow - Gibbowolf - everyone told us to stay in Merida too - they were right. People focus so much on the Riviera and the resort hype, but there is a tonne to do in and around Merida, arguable more if you are not bent on the more commercial sites.

Any comments here?

Wish you guys hadn't of mentioned the chocolate museum : ) This looks neat. How far away is it from the Ruta Puuc and Uxmal and how long does it take to walk through? Is there a little shop on site - or better yet, chocolate to taste ; ) ?