We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ruins

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Ruins

We are stopping for 1 day of our cruise at Progreso (0800 - 1800). Our ship is including a free visit to Dzilbilchatun. But Chichen Itza has the name. Should we go there and if so what is the best way of doing this? Thanks for any replies.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ruins

Most cruises offer a day tour to the ruins. I would suggest Dzibilchaltun because it is close, more authentic, it has a cenote you can swim in and you won't spend all day in the bus. Take the extra time to swim and later have a beer and some guacamole and chips in Progreso on the beach!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ruins

Dzibulchaltun "more authentic?" Completely untrue. Them's fighting words, Y-Living.

The ruins at Dzibulchaltun are vastly inferior to most of the other popular ancient Maya sites in Yucatan, including Chichen Itza, but you can't beat them for convenience if you are arriving by cruise ship to Progreso. The site also has a nice museum that recently reopened, in addition to the cenote and other attractions that Y-Living listed.

Chichen Itza is a couple of hours away from Progreso, so you would spend more time traveling than touring. But if you want to see it (and you should, at least once in your lifetime), check with your cruise company to see if it has an excursion. If not, you might want to contact William Lawson who haunts this forum and has a driving service.

Have a great trip!

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ruins

I think what YucatanLiving means is that it's less overrun with tourists from Cancun and not everything is roped off, etc. Authentic? Both are authentic of course, but Dzibilchaltun is much more spartan. The museum, by the way, is closed on Mondays as are most museums in Mexico (along w Casa de Montejo and I suspect Anthrpological as well). Mondays are the day when tourists arrive in Progreso but of course the 'authorities' don't know this or are too inflexible to modify this rule.

For your best ruins experience, visit Uxmal.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ruins

Oh goodness! You're right, Josh... both authentic, that isn't really what I meant. More approachable? Less crowded? both are true. Sorry for the mistake, and that's for clarifying Bill!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ruins

I totally agree with Mr. Lawson... try to go to Uxmal - pronounced Osh Mahl. Chichen Itza is over run with tourists from Cancun, Dzibichaltun is small and spartan as mentioned above. Uxmal is a large site with VERY few tourists... a total gem! You won't regret it,

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ruins

Hmmm... i always thought it was pronounced OOSH-mal...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ruins

Chichen is over run with tourists. But for two reasons. It is on a major highway linking it to Cancun and it is the most spectacular in that part of Mexico. Don't avoid because of others. Like saying avoid the Grand Canyon or Yosemite. All are wonders of the world. I've been to most major archeological sites in the western hemisphere. I'd rate Chichen in the top 5. Better than Machu Picchu. Only Tikal overwhelms Chichen in the Mayan world.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ruins

I'd say go to Uxmal, which in itself is a highly impressive site. I think you'll have a great day and learn a lot.

The problem with a late morning visit to CI isn't just that there are lots of other tourists (in a much smaller space than a US National Park), but also that you are pestered by vendors selling their poor-quality wares.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ruins

I for one do not resent the vendors. Having them there is probably a more authentic experience... Chichen Itza used to be a center for culture and trade. Its sad to me that more of them dont sell handmade items, but there are quite a few selling some quality merchandise if you are willing to look.

I bought a favorite tshirt there from a guy who had his friends who do grafitti create tshirts with Mayan gods and goddesses. The tshirt is beautiful! I also bought a lovely butterfly mobile, some wood carvings and other handmade items.

And I get the satisfaction of knowing I'm helping to support the local townspeople.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ruins

Yes. Uxmal is pronounced Oosh Mahl...typo there. Thank you.