We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the heat and rain in September?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
How is the heat and rain in September?

I was in Merida in January, and can't wait to return. Thinking about coming through around Aug 31- Sep 2. I'd be there for a few days, then heading on to Campeche for a few days.

I assume it's pretty hot and humid then? I was recently in Nicaragua, it was around 95-97 degrees each day. I was able to handle that, but the humidity wasn't horrible. Actually, I'm somewhat more worried about rain than heat. I like to sit outside and watch the world go by, which is hard in the rain.

Would Campeche be much cooler, being on the water?

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the heat and rain in September?

Temps will be low 90's and you are right, Aug-Sept are generally the wettest months. However, bear in mind that the rain is intense but only lasts an hour or so (and nearly always falls between 3-7 pm). Things quickly get back to normal and you'll appreciate the fresher air.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the heat and rain in September?

I agree... rain in the Yucatan (and other places in the tropics) isn't like rain "back home". Its warm, its lovely, you can walk around in it if you want to. Or just stand under a doorway or portico til it passes. Once you've experienced a tropical rainstorm, you'll probably come back during the rainy season ;-) I know I LOVE them! And they dont get in the way of doing much of anything...

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the heat and rain in September?

From my experience, I always find Campeche to be a lot hotter than Merida. Whiie it is on the water, it doesn't get the sea breezes that are typically from the northeast.

The good news is that about 6 PM there is a wonderful drop in temperature and things cool off wonderfully. Evenings are always so fresh. The cooling off round 6 PM can because of the rain or just because!

4. Re: How is the heat and rain in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 21:41
Get answers to your questions about Merida