We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
674 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

Hello I and my wife want to visit Yucatan in December and want to visit Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos (flamingoes) and to Playa del Carmen for couple days. I have to itineraries:

1. Fly to Cancun from MEX and rent a car for 4 days or take a public transportation.

2. Fly to Merida from MEX and the same itinerary.

What do you mean about rental cars and public transportation. I am scared of police bribes or problem with paying petrol (which is the price for litre of gasoline at the moment), therefore I am asking for your advise. Thank you Ales

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

You keep asking the same questions over and over in different forums. There is no problem with renting a car. It is expensive (compared to USA, not Europe) but you will have your freedom and the gas stations and police can be avoided by driving carefully and keeping your eyes open at the gas station.

Public transportation will be too unflexible and taxis are a constant pain because each time you use one, you will be negotiating. Colectivos are unreliable and their schedules are non-existent.

I don't know how things are in Slovenia, but it is NOT bad here in Mexico at ALL.

Rent that car and have fun!

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
674 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

Sorry I do not want to offend anybody or any nation, but I do not want to pay for if I do not do it. I know that rental car means more freedom, but there is a lot of posts about problems with police. In every country exist bad and good guys. I just want to collect information about renting car and public transport to find out the right decision and therefore I ask for them, e.g. are the problems only on Riviera Maya region or also between Cancun, Merida, Uxmal and Rio Lagartos (or Celestun).

By the way in Slovenia things run without problems, fresh air, mountains and lakes, you are welcome to our little but beautiful country.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

Don't worry - not offended!

I have lived here (Yucatan state) for 25 years and the police reports are mostly or all coming from the Cancun and Riviera Maya area. There is very little such problem with the police in the Yucatan, a different state (different police force). You will enjoy your time here.

I look forward to visiting Slovenia one day!

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

I concur with Mr. Lawson... don't worry! Even if you happen to get stopped by the police in Yucatan, they are very polite and easy to deal with. We once were stopped for driving too fast. When the policeman saw that my husband was driving with his wife and his mother, he just told him to be more careful and let us go. That wouldn't happen in the US, believe me!!

You'll have a great time, whether you drive yourself or take public transportation. Or you could hire a driver like Mr. Lawson!! He can show you Uxmal, Chichen Itza, etc. and you wouldn't have to worry about any of that!

Saludos!

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
674 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

I just thinking about connection between Merida and CI, where is the station in CI, and how long to hotels and entrance to CI. And how than catch the bus to Tulum or Cancun. If I stay in Akumal would be Tulum better. And just something about connection between Merida and Celestun to see flamingoes.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

It sounds to me like you are trying to do a lot in four days. A nice four day itinerary to me would be a day (or two) on the beach in Akumal and Tulum, and then a visit to Chichen Itza and Valladolid. You'll get the ruins, the colonial city feeling and two glorious days at the Caribbean. More than that is going to be, in my opinion, way too much running around.

That is not the spirit of the Yucatan :-)

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
674 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

I come from Mexico city to Merida by plane overnight there, next day to Uxmal, overnight again in Merida, visit Celestun, overnight in Merida, moving to Chitzen Itza visiting CI, overnight there, and next day to Tulum, and stay there 5 days. In Mexico city will stay 3 days before moving to Merida. What is your opinion about that?

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
674 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

Any suggestion about accomodation in Merida and CI both near to bus station??

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

Casa Sacnicte in Merida is quite nice, and walking distance (a few blocks) from Merida CAME station.

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Edited: 18 September 2012, 23:15
Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Merida to Uxmal, Chitzen Itza, Rio Lagartos and PDC

Accommodation in Chichen... I love Hacienda Chichen. You can walk to the ruins from there and I'm sure they have ways to get you to the bus.

In Merida, there are so many places! What are you looking for?

Get answers to your questions about Merida