We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival 2013

providence
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival 2013

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good place to catch the parades on Friday and Saturday while dining? Is it even possible? Also I am looking for info on best way to get to our hotel, Mision de Fray Diego on Thursday afternoon probably about the time of the parade? I would appreciate input. Thanks!

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival 2013

The street that Fray Diego is on travels from the centro outward (east to west), so it may be blocked off near Calle 62. However you should be able to up Calle 64 and turn left on Calle 66. It will be crowded though. I believe that day is the Children's Parade, which is over by about 4 or 5 pm, so if you just wait til it is over, you should have no problem. They have valet parking and I would take advantage of it that day.

a good place to catch the parades while dining? The Moon Bar at Rosas y Xocolate Hotel is a great place to see the world go by. Downtown, there are a number of little places. I would try for Bella Epoca (on Calle 60 just north of 59) or that bar (forget the name... help me someone?) on the southwest corner of Calle 60 and Calle 59.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival 2013

The bar is right next to Los Trompos taqueria at the corner of 59 and 60. Across from the placita. Good place for people watching.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival 2013

That's the place!

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
129 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival 2013

The bar is Paranda. But Paranda and most bars on Calle 60 take reservations and require a deposit in advance. It is a good place to watch; we watch there every year.

providence
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival 2013

Thanks that is great information. I was already considering rosas y xocolate but wasn't sure what the roof top area was called. Parandas sounds like just what we might be looking for however. How soon would we need to make reservations and is there a particular areas to request? Also I am a real foodie and would love suggestions on restaurants that will give true sense of Yucatecan cuisine.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
129 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival 2013

They will start taking reservations in January. They require a deposit per person which they apply to your bill. They put tables out front so you will be able to see the parade.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival 2013

Yucatan cuisine: La Tradicional, which is on Calle 60 about a block north of the Hyatt, has a great selection of good, traditional food. There's also a few places downtown... my favorite panuchos are at Bella Epoca on Calle 60 just north of Calle 59, upstairs.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival 2013

which is another great place to see the parades, by the way, but probably difficult to reserve a balcony...

Canton Ohio
Level Contributor
49 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival 2013

My wife and are want to start planning our Feb trip. Last year we planned around Carnival.

Can you give me pros cons of coming down during that time?

b.c.
Level Contributor
4 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival 2013

how do we get box seats for carnival?last year we sat calle 47 .how soon do they sell tickets?