We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival parades info

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
providence
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival parades info

My wife and I will be in Merida next weekend from Thursday to Sunday. We are planning on going to Fridays parade for sure and maybe Saturday. We would really appreciate any suggestions on where to go to watch and things not to miss.

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
187 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival parades info

We are going to Saturday's parade. The lady we are renting from suggested that one as a good one. She is buying us tickets so we can sit. I think we are sitting close to centro, although I think Saturday's parade runs on Paseo de Montejo. Hope this helps :)

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival parades info

The Friday and Saturday parades are at night. The Sunday parade is at noon. THey all go up Paseo de Montejo to the Plaza Grande. There are places to sit in the center of Paseo de Montejo and places to sit along both sides of Calle 60 as the parade goes to the Plaza.

You don't need a place to sit necessarily. There are restaurants along the way that will let you eat and watch, for instance.

The best idea is to get there a little early to find a spot. I have always liked the area around Parque Santa Ana as a place to stand.

IT can get very crowded closer to the Plaza and hard to get in and out during the parade. At least at the park you have a little more room to move.

Another fun place to watch is right at the beginning, at the Monumento de la Bandera. It's also a good place to watch because you get the performers when they are all energetic and excited.

The night parades have lights. The daytime parade is better for photography but can get hot if the sun is out. But basically its the same floats and the same parade every day. The different parade is on Monday night (the "traditional" parade with lots of people in traditional Maya costumes) and the Thursday parade, which is the kids parade. They're pretty cute :-)

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
187 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival parades info

Yucatan Living, can you suggest a place to eat for dinner on the Saturday evening before the parade? We are up for pretty much anything. Any suggestions for things to do on the Sunday besides walking through the markets and such? We're only staying in Merida on the Saturday night but are in the area for 2 weeks and plan to be in the city often during this time. Thanks :)

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival parades info

In terms of location a good place to eat would be La Bella Epoca, though I see their TA reviews are very irregular. It'd give you a great view of the parades and if you only eat snacks you might be able to tolerate any deficiencies in food and service.

Sunday ... get out of the city and go to Sotuta de Peon, Uxmal or Dzibilchaltun, amongst other options.

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
187 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival parades info

We definitely have plans for Uxmal and Dzibilchaltun among other ruins and cenotes. We had heard that Sundays in Merida were exciting so we planned our parade evening around that. Thanks for the restaurant suggestion.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival parades info

Bella Epoca is a great place to watch the parade if you can get a seat. My fav food there is their panuchos... they are some of the best i've ever had!

providence
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival parades info

The tradition of beads is really big in New Orleans, is that something that is done in Merida. Or is it more like Rio with samba troops?

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival parades info

There are beads and other things thrown by people from the floats. A lot of plastic stuff with corporate logos... but you will definitely see some beads.

9. Re: Carnival parades info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 07:15