We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black market

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Black market

Is there anything I could bring to trade for dental work in Mexico? You know hard to find stuff in Mexico but available everywhere here or is Mexico just like USA?

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black market

You do know that "black market" means "illegal", right?

For legal items, electronics (think iPad) are significantly more expensive than in the US.

Don't count on being able to walk in and barter. I'm not saying you might not find a dentist who'd be willing to barter. If you do, though, they'll probably be interested in some very specific thing so you'd have to arrange it ahead of time.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black market

black market does not mean illegal. In third world countries water purification chemicals are quite scarce but hardly illegal.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Black market

With all due respect, "black market" refers to illegal contraband. I understand you define it differently, but that's not the definition anyone I know uses. I've heard "gray market" to discuss what you propose ... bringing stuff for trade that you have no intention of declaring to Aduana and paying duty, a practice which is illegal.

Merida, I'm sorry to report, has all the comforts of home, so to speak. Whatever you can buy in the US you can buy in Merida, although sometimes it is quite a bit more expensive. But dental work is very inexpensive relative to the US. A few years ago I had a crown put on a tooth ... I was quoted $1,200 by my US dentist. I was able to pay for my dental work, flight, and travel expenses for less than that figure.

Have a good trip!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black market

Yes wiki says I stand corrected.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,575 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black market

My two cents:

There are situations where individuals may appreciate a favor like taking something to the US to be mailed or shipped to a relative as shipping from here is often quite expensive. But these are situations that are arranged among "conocidos" or people that know each other. It would be difficult to set something like this up without some mutual trust.

As for stuff, most anything can be bought here in Merida, from peanut butter to electronics, the latest digital camera to smoked salmon from Scotland at Costco.

You would have to contact a specific dentist and make the offer to perhaps help with the bringing in of a certain piece of dental equipment, a part or something similar that he or she cannot get here or that is cheaper in the US. Again, some mutual trust will be required.

Keep in mind too that most of the local dentists you would be comfortable seeing are trained or at least have studied part of their specialities in the US and are quite comfortable, economically speaking, and would probably not look favorably at a potential client who proposed bartering as they are well aware of what dental work costs in the US and Canada. They might even find it insulting.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Black market

What would be the point? If you were to propose payment of, let's say, an iPad, wouldn't it be wiser and easier to simply pay that amount in cash?

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black market

Listen to the wise Mr. Lawson... he speaks the truth. The dentists in Merida are perhaps not what you imagine them to be...

8. Re: Black market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 06:18