We have only 5 days coming from TX to spend in the area. Have never been before. The last two days of the trip are already booked for Tulum - I did this before doing some research and cannot change that reservation without losing our $$ for the stay, so we have to include that.
I have thought of two options as I really want to visit Merida.
- arrive in cancun abt 12:30, rent a car
- drive to Valladolid and stay the afternoon + 1 night
- drive to Merida the next morning, arrive about noon, spend 2 nights and explore the city
- leave Merida and stop at Chichen I, get lunch
- head down to Tulum and spend 2 nights, then depart for Cancun flight out in afternoon
- arrive in cancun, rent a car or get a bus to Merida
- spend 3 nights in merida
- head to Tulum, stopping in Chichen
- spend last 2 nights in Tulum
Option #1 would break up the drive time into two days and allow us to visit Valladolid
Options #2 would give us more time in Merida
Also, it seems renting a car is cheaper even with insurance and gives us flexibility in travel.
Any thoughts on which option seems good and whether renting a car vs. taking the bus is preferred. Parking in Merida is a concern + never having visited or driven in Mexico.