We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida: Culinary Adventures

Aria1000
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Merida: Culinary Adventures

Hello,

My husband and I are traveling to Merida for the 1st time this fall for 7-9 days. We are looking forward to a relaxing vacation with 1 or 2 day trips planned. One of the things that we love to do when we travel is seek out the local food culture of the area.

I was wondering if anyone may have some tips for this part of our trip?

We will be there during Dia De Los Muertos, so I'm looking forward to seeing all the festivities and traditional food associated with Dia De Los Muertos.

I also plan on taking a cooking class at Los Dos and am looking forward to strolling through the mercados. Possibly a trip to Ecomuseo de Cacao.

Is there anything else in the area that we could see?

Thanks!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,856 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

Have you been to the Yucatan before? There's a lot of interesting food in the area that you can find at many places. Panuchos, salbutes, cochinita pibil, papadzules, various other Mayan style dishes....a place like La Chaya Maya may be a good place to get some of these more local dishes. If you happen to be there on a Sunday, there will be food booths along one side of the main square, and there will be plenty of local flavor there.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

In Yucatan, Dia de los Muertos is Hanal Pixan ("feeding souls," I believe it translates to), a Maya tradition. Altars are set up in honor of those who have passed and special food left out for them. Some families will haul out an ancestor's bones and shine them up. If you search "Hanal Pixan," I'm sure you will find information about activities in Merida. And don't touch those special maize cakes -- they are for the dead!

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

If this is your first time to Merida, there are a gazillion things to see, yes!

Eco Museo del Cacao- excellent choice!

Sotuta de Peon hacienda - a must see.

Uxmal, definitely

Hacienda Yaxcopoil is on the way to Uxmal, stop and tour it

You will not stroll through the market you will bump, jostle and push your way through the market - be prepared! :)

For the Dia de Muertos aka Hanal Pixan, the city or state government organizes contests to see which town or organization/group puts together the best altar and this happens in the main square. Don't miss it!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

I think EJ's is referring to pib, or mucbipollo, when he mentions 'special maize cakes' . That is the traditional dish for 'Muertos' here in Yucatan, so I'd say give it a go. Start with just a small taster first, though.

I don't know if La Tradición includes pib on its menu during that festival, but I can say that they offer great local cuisine.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

La Chaya Maya does, though!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

Thanks, Londoner. That's the dish I was thinking of.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

Chachakwa (sic...never seen it actually written) is also a very common "special maize cake" made for Hanal Pixan! :)

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

Not sure what chachakwa might be exactly. The only thing that approximates on the Internet is the chachachá, which you could probably dance in Parque Santiago on a Tuesday night.

In terms of Yucatecan food, even my Yuca wife was left completely blank.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

Maybe gb will tell us more. I believe her husband is Mexican.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Merida: Culinary Adventures

The dish is "chocolomo." I looked it up. No idea what it is, but it's a combination of Maya for "hot" and "the meat from the rump of an animal."

EDITED: Apparently "lomo" is espanol, not Maya, for "back," so the soup is "hot (calliente) back." It's a soup of pork loins and organs, such as kidneys.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 20:50
Get answers to your questions about Merida