We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
"Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

Hi all,

Partner and I are looking to rent a car for 13 days to drive around Yucatan. Budget appears to be the cheapest by far and that includes yucatancarrentals.com/easywayrentacar.com (almost identical websites) They're "asking" $144 for 13 days (cheapest car) and I know that's the base rate. Add $15.00 a day for mandatory insurance and tax it comes to $411. Is that an "ouch"?

The proprietor of the hotel we're staying in, warned me to be careful of "hidden charges" that Budget nails people with. I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge of fees beyond insurance/taxes that rental places use. I'm wondering if people are getting a "bait/switch" on the insurance. When they get there, they're (me) told they (me) must have the most expensive package or they (me) can't rent a car. Do I need anything beyond liability insurance. It's annoying to start with $144 and watch it zoom to $411 (at least)

Many thanks!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

I once walked out of Budget in Cancun because I perceived they were not being straight with me. Never got to a point where I would have run into any "hidden" fees. I was directed there by a "sweeper," that is, by a fellow who hangs out at the airport to direct people to their company who probably earns a commission on every customer he sends their way. That cost has to be buried in their fees as well.

I rent with Easyway these days and have been very satisfied.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

Thanks for the info. Easyway is the next cheapest but it appears to be $100 more than Budget. After our trip ends (early August) I will write all about our trip and what the real scoop is with Budget.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

When I rent cars in the US the cost of insurance per day is greater than the car rental itself, and that doesn't include the myriad other surcharges they add on. Whatever you do, don't sign with anyone until you can clearly see the bottom line of the bill.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

We have been traveling to Mexico for ten years, and each time we have rented a car. After negative experiences with Thrifty and Hertz (service fees, insurance costs and car availability), we switched to Easyway. We have never been disappointed. Easyway quoted you a rental fee of $411 US plus $15 per day for 13 days. That works out to less than $50 a day. I do not know what kind of car you want, but it seems reasonable to me. I prefer Easyway. We buy the liability insurance and decline all other coverages. Easyway does not pressure you with horror stories to try to justify excess insurance. We have had no bad experiences even when we returned the car damaged for an incident that was my fault. Our credit car insurance covered the cost of repair.

Enjoy

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

Hi,

Just to clear up any confusion, it is Budget that's quoting us $411. Easyway quoted over $500.00. I'm concerned that when I show up at Budget, they'll somehow make sure we don't leave without paying an amount in excess of $500. It that's what we have to pay, so be it. However, I don't want to give that kind of money to a business when I'm lured in by a lower rate.

Thanks!

Vail, Arizona
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

We will be renting from EasyWay (again) in July... We are confirmed at $600 for 10 days with full insurance... A real bargain compared with the rip-off we experienced from Hertz on our first trip in 2011...

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
176 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

I'm also looking at Easyway now. We're flying into Cancun and out of Merida, so we'll need a one-way rental. They offer that, but it looks like their office is in the city, not near the airport. We have a 7:15 AM flight out of Merida, so I'm wondering if we should return the rental car the night before and just take a taxi to the airport in the morning. Any advice?

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

We had friends who fly in and out of Merida on Continental/United and have to catch the early flight to Houston. They rent from Easyway. To return the car they stop at Easyway at 5;00 AM, pick up a driver and proceed to the airport. Check with Easyway as to how to return the car.

One year we were leaving on a Sunday for Houston, so we drove into Merida on Saturday, dropped off the car, checked into Luz en Yucatan, enjoyed the Saturday night entertainment and caught a cab to the airport on Sunday morning. The hotel made arrangements for the cab.

Enjoy

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

I usually pay about $500 pesos per day for car rental... that's about $40-ish dollars a day... seems to be the going rate. Good luck!

Seattle...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: "Hidden charges" in Budget car rental question...

Oooo, I'm definitely interested in this thread. My boyfriend and I are going to be in the Yucatan for two weeks this November, driving all over the peninsula. We're flying in and out of Merida and currently have reservations with Budget.

Any updates on your experience with Budget? I've read mostly good things about Easyway, though not all wonderful things. Trying to figure out if we should stick with Budget or switch to Easyway.

Thanks!