We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ready for a quick ride?

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ready for a quick ride?

High speed train from Merida to Cancun?

It's in the plans...

…yahoo.com/mexico-sets-100-billion-rail-port…

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

Don't hold your breath. This puppy has been in the works for a while, viz:

http://www.americanegypt.com/blog/?p=113

http://www.americanegypt.com/blog/?p=990

http://www.americanegypt.com/blog/?p=2073

But contrary to the Yahoo report, the one place in all Mexico where a fast train would be easy and quick to build would be in Yucatan, where the terrain is flat.

Here's hoping!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

Crazy.

How many seats a day does ADO have going between the two places? That would indicate roughly how many people want to make the trip. Not enough to make a fast train economical, I'd bet.

And a train would have to be *better* than the current (mostly ADO) service to justify the expense of building it. I think the current bus service is hard to improve on.

Ain't gonna happen, unless the politicians are really stupid.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,301 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

¨Ain't gonna happen, unless the politicians are really stupid¨

Well, in that case, it is likely to happen!

Just doing a quick count, ADO has about 50 daily buses between Cancun and Merida. With about 44 passengers per bus, that is approx. 2200 seats daily. Unscientific but close.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 23:55
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

I do not think it makes sense. I realize I have limited experience, but I have done the Cancun to Merida on ADO a half dozen times now and the bus is rarely even half full. Once I did the run from the airport and it was four people total. Even if the train could cut transit time in half, could it compete? I assume the fare would be much higher than the bus....hmmm....

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

The train is not to replace existing local traffic (as in those who ride ADO and other bus services), but instead generate new traffic, specifically:

The train will terminate at Punta Venado, which can handle cruise ship traffic. Imagine thousands of tourists each day hopping on a high speed train and whisked to Chichen Itza in less than a couple hours. Ditto for tourists coming from Maya Riviera resorts to Chichen, Valladolid, or Merida for the day. The train could theoretically replace a portion of the tour bus traffic as well.

Theoretically, that is ...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,301 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

¨The train will terminate at Punta Venado, which can handle cruise ship traffic¨

The problem is, since this port handles the Cozumel car ferries it can handle limited cruise ships. Much talk has been made about expanding it but so far, it has been just that--talk.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

I think a lot of it has to do with wishful thinking on the politician's part and a desire to show the world how high-tech and forward-thinking Mexico is. Build it and they will come.

I worry about the cultural and ecological impact of splitting the peninsula down the middle with a train track unless they plan to make the whole thing elevated...

Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

It wouldn't split the peninsula any more than the toll road. Maybe they could put it in the median between the toll road where there is room and above where there isn't enough room. At any rate it probably is just pie in the sky

Atlanta
Level Contributor
421 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

I am still waiting for the ferry from Tampa to Progreso.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,301 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ready for a quick ride?

" Maybe they could put it in the median between the toll road where there is room"

From what I have seen, it will use existing railroad right of way between Merida and Valladolid and from there branch off to Punto Venado. Assuming it ever happens.