We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get there ?

birmingham
Level Contributor
52 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
How to get there ?

Any one help the best we to get from Cancun to Merida and how long dose it take and is it worth It ?

We arrive from the UK at 16.00 and want to travel that day , I contacted a diver but he said 400 dollars ,Also can we go there as its a different state ? That's what the diver emailed back

Is there a good bus service or is it safe to drive

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get there ?

A "diver"?? If you were to travel the whole way underwater indeed it would be a long trip :))

If you are hiring a car anyway then you could do it but after a long flight? I don't recommend it. Best option is to get an ADO bus at 6 pm direct from the airport to Merida 496 pesos (around £25/40 USD each) and it takes3 1/2 to 4 hours. The buses are comfortable with a/c and bathrooms. Or stay at a nearby hotel and travel in the morning.

Bus details are at www.ado.com.mx

Edited: 02 September 2013, 21:32
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get there ?

Arriving at 1600, you will still have plenty of buses available to you, both directly from the airport or from the downtown terminal. There will be a lot of time to get here, and you will be able to nap during the trip if you choose. Unless you are very very tired and don't travel well, there will be no need to spend the night in Cancun. You really should have a look at the "Top Questions about Merida" in the upper right corner of this page. There are only 2, and they both involve getting from Cancun to Merida. If after reading them you have specific questions...ask again.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,593 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get there ?

Regarding your question about being able to go to Merida since it is in a different state, there is no problem traveling between states in Mexico. Other than a sign that says "Welcome to Yucatan State" or similar, you wouldn't really even realize you have crossed a state line. Whether or not a private driver would take you to another state is another question - some may just not want to go that far or they may want to charge you more for it. At any rate, I'd take the bus.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get there ?

We always take the bus too...very comfortable,relatively inexpensive, and a fine way to travel. But re the private driver,most would be happy to take you to the state of the Yucatan, not the least of whom would be our own Mr. Bill Lawson - at the very top of the list of "Merida Destination Experts", again located in the upper right of this page, directly below the "Top Questions."

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,533 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get there ?

"is it worth It"

In my opinion, very much so. If you want a bit of the 'real Mexico" , Merida is a must. A beautiful colonial city and well worth the trip.

As the others said, the ADO bus is the way to go.

6. Re: How to get there ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2013, 12:58
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,533 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get there ?

If it were me, I would continue on to Merida. But should you decide to stay the night, I would recommend one of the two airport hotels or a hotel in the center for easy departure on ADO the next morining. For me, one night in Cancun's hotel zone would just be too much hassle.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get there ?

Merida is one of the nicest cities in Mexico. Such a pleasant change from the polyester gringos at the cartel mega resorts in Cancun and the we cut your meat attitude. Besides the colonial center Merida is a center for exploring the Mayan ruins in the region. Chichen Itza is the largest restored ruins and unique in its bi cultural back ground. The Puuc Route.. a series of ruins with Uxmal as the largest can be visited by bus from the first class bus station. As noted Chichen is also reached by bus on one of the best roads in the Yucatan. You could rent a car if you can adapt to driving on the correct side of the road but buses are top rate and by far the easiest alternative. Another interesting day trip is.... depending on the time of year...to visit the flamingos at Celestun. The Yucatan has a unique cuisine that is first rate. You might even look into flying direct to Merida from the UK. But I have a hunch that going via Cancun is cheaper.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get there ?

We are visiting Merida for the first time at the moment and it is indeed a wonderful city and well worth a visit. If you don't have direct flights (sounds as if you may have already booked) the bus is very nice but it is a 4 hour ride. While there is a bus to Merida directly from the Cancun airport, ADO told me directly last Friday that the 1:30 PM bus is a full sized bus but the later ones are vans, so it would be better to take their shuttle to the main bus terminal and then catch a full sized bus from there. They depart regularly.

You face a dilemma: add 4 more hours to an already long travel day or spend a second day traveling. That is a decision only you can make.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,533 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get there ?

"You might even look into flying direct to Merida from the UK."

You will find nothing. And the limited international flights I know of are very expensive. Most expats I know, go via Cancun because of airfares.

ADO does change to vans from the Cancun airport when it is a slow time, like now. You can see what is currently being used by checking the seat chart for the schedule you want.