We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a taxi?

SF
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do I need a taxi?

Do I need a taxi from the main bus station to Hotel Maria Del Carmen?

I looked at the map and does not look far, but with two kids and two suitcases, what do you think?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a taxi?

Google Maps will give you walking directions - and distance.

With that, you have far more information than we do to answer your question.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,463 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a taxi?

Taxis in Merida are cheap. With luggage (and 2 kids) unless the hotel was just down the block, I'd take a taxi. Why hassle with dragging your stuff and your kids several blocks when a taxi will cost maybe 30 pesos?

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
716 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a taxi?

Merida sidewalks, especially in El Centro, tend to be narrow and uneven. Your family will probably be walking single file pulling wheeled bags. My suggestion is to take a cab.

Enjoy Merida

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a taxi?

And it could be hot. I'd take the taxi. There are set tariffs, so you won't be ripped off. Taxi kiosk on the right hand side of the terminal.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a taxi?

Set tariffs if you use the taxi kiosk in the terminal. I go to the front and flag a metered taxi because it is usually quite a bit cheaper. But since this is only 5 blocks, it will not be expensive however you do it. But the drivers waiting in line inside the terminal are not likely to be very pleased to draw a low fare for their wait!

It would be an easy walk but not so with the heat, luggage and the family. Taxi is a good idea.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 10:26
Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a taxi?

Yes, that's a good point, RSDF. 2 comments from me: You are talking about maybe $3 US for the fare, so why not tip generously? Put a smile on that driver's face - We always find that it's a great way to start our stay. An extra few bucks won't make a bit of difference in the big picture for you. And this comes from someone who prides himself in his dedicated "frugality." And we always take a taxi on our arrival.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,552 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a taxi?

If you are arriving by day, the heat will be a bummer for the kids. If at night, you will have to explain the concept of hookers. Take the taxi, for sure.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a taxi?

Which reminds me, Bill, that as our bus pulled into town we passed a small cantina and I was initially surprised to see so many young ladies hanging out there. Then my brain slowly put things together. Oh. Wait. Got it.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need a taxi?

And what did Ms. DMartin think about that :)))))

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need a taxi?

DMartin. I believe that you witnessed the volunteers from Alcohlics anonymous visiting bars to offer counseling. They are a well known charitable group. Like our hospital candy strippers.