We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is "La ruta Puuc" bus tour still available?

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
28 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Is "La ruta Puuc" bus tour still available?

I will visit Merida this Christmas / New Year holiday season, I have heard that there is a bus tour visiting 5 ruins "Labna, Xlapak, Sayil, Kabah, Uxmal) with a single bus ticket. Where to get this information? How to book or purchase bus ticket? What is running schedule?

Thanks.

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is "La ruta Puuc" bus tour still available?

The Yucatan Today is a great resource, here is their page on Ruta Puuc:

www.yucatantoday.com/en/topics/puuc-route

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,217 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is "La ruta Puuc" bus tour still available?

You really dont want to do the bus.

It is worth it to arrange for a driver like Bill Lawson (who you can find here) or through your hotel.

These ruins are spread out and I was there with Bill at the same time as the people on the bus. They have about 20 minutes at each site and literally had to run to the first structure, take a couple of pictures and go. At some of the ruins, there are 1 or 2 major building and this works slightly but at the significant ruins, you will be pissed at yourself that you wont be able to see anything but the few rocks by the entrance.

Bill picked me up in Merida, brought me to 5 of the Pu'uc route ruins including a stop for lunch at the Pickled Onion, then left me off at my hotel in Uxmal. I saw the light show (hokey, but great to be there at night), then was at the ruins first thing in the am. I planned to take the bus back to Merida, but a collectivo came first and didnt care that I had a bag.

I dont remember what he charges, but it was very reasonable for the day for something I've wanted to do forever.

If you're comfortable driving, you could also rent a car for the day. The roads are good and relatively empty. You just have to watch for the speed bumps before and after every town. Im a New Yorker, who never drives, so it is out of the question!

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 27 September 2013, 17:51
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,436 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is "La ruta Puuc" bus tour still available?

Good advice from evening. Bill Lawson is the way to go if you really want time to see the sites. Highly recommended by many.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is "La ruta Puuc" bus tour still available?

You should also consider renting a car and driving yourself. The roads are quite good and signage is clear and understandable.

Have a great trip!

Chicaago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is "La ruta Puuc" bus tour still available?

Two years ago my brother and I took the Ruta Puuc bus trip, which is a van, with ADO in Merida. It was very nice and we saw everything in a timely fashion. I would recommend it. The price was right and it was a good tour.

6. Re: Is "La ruta Puuc" bus tour still available?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 05:16