We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about parking in Merida

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Question about parking in Merida

I am planning a spring 2014 trip to Merida and have been reading a lot of posts. One thing that stands out to me is the phrase "secure parking". Is there a lot of crime to vehicles in the area?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,244 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about parking in Merida

I don't know, but in my experience, "secure parking" generally means something off the street, usually with an attendent, but sometines not - rather than anything that is particularly secure.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about parking in Merida

Yes, there is a lot of crime to vehicles, but most of it is crimes of opportunity. You leave your car unlocked with something valuable on the seat and there's a chance it won't be there when you get back. Friends of mine have had things disappear, but if you lock your car and hide your valuables (which you should do pretty much anywhere), you should be fine.

I've found "secure parking" means "off street" parking, just as november_moon described. The only thing I'll add is I've had a rental car I was driving damaged in one of those lots. Apparently the security guard was just watching the entrance, not my car. When I use off-street parking these days, I try to park as far away from other cars or people as people.

Have a great trip!

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about parking in Merida

I lived in Merida for ten years. In that entire time, our SUV was parked on the street in various neighborhoods (Santa Ana, San Sebastian, etc.) in the centro. My car was never broken into, but both US license plates were eventually stolen.

My car was broken into more in Santa Monica, CA than in Mexico.

I did leave my wallet and iPhone on the hood of the car once, however, and two teenagers rang the doorbell and returned them.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about parking in Merida

As the kids would say here "nada que ver". My experience has been similar to that of my esteemed colleague from Yucatan Living. Been here a while.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about parking in Merida

Thanks for the input. I guess being from Texas I don't even think about parking so the term brought a certain connotation to it. It seems as it just means off street parking as far as I'm concerned. I look forward to seeing another piece of Mexico other than isla mujeres - even though I love the island!

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about parking in Merida

You will love it here.

Enclosed parking lots here usually have the same disclaimers as up north ie "We are not responsible for loss or theft of vehicle or belongings blah blah blah" Not particularly secure IMHO.

7. Re: Question about parking in Merida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:18