We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clermont-Ferrand...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

Hello Merida Experts,

I hope you can guide me, I am traveling with my toddler and my parents both on their 70s in the spring 2014 to Merida. I am looking for a budget hotel downtown and any experiences on activities for kids. I will like to visit the Chichen Itza but I am not sure the tour buses take young kids.

Thank you!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

We'd love to help you plan. First, how about giving us an idea of what "budget hotel" means to you? What amenities are you looking for, if any? From my experience, you will have several good choices, and they will all be less expensive than what one would typically find in France. Most are under $100 U.S., and several under $50. Bravo, no?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

And I forgot to add - We love the Merida Zoo, and I'm pretty sure so would your family (depending on that day's heat:-). Here's a link, courtesy of Yucatan Living....

yucatanliving.com/destinations/merida-zoo.htm

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,447 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

Agree. If we know what you consider budget, we can help more. I have never paid more than 50 dollars in Merida and many available in that range.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

Centenario Zoo is a great option for kids. There is also another park/zoo out of the downtown called Animaya. It would be a not too expensive taxi ride.

Tour companies would take your toddler to Chichen, but be aware that it isn't very easy to push a buggy round the site as the paths are not flat.

In terms of weather, I'd strongly recommend coming in March rather than April or May as the temperatures can easily rise to 40°C once our 'winter' ends.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

The Yucatan Living site (and one of the resident experts here - see the list on the right) does a really good job of informing visitors of what this great area has to offer. Here's a link to their "Children's Activities" article. I'm not sure how many will be relevant for a toddler, but hopefully it will give you a good idea of possibilities...

yucatanliving.com/daily-life/childrens-activ…

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

They said it all :-) One thing I would mention... when traveling with both young kids and elderly parents, be sure to keep on top of the heat and dehydration. Drink water. And don't go out in the hottest time of the day (noon to threeish). That's a great time to spend by the pool.

As for a budget hotel downtown, I agree... what does "budget" mean to you? There are a lot of options...

Clermont-Ferrand...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

Thank you for all your responses and advice, the zoo sounds great!

I will look into the website, I heard that a mall has some sort of playground for the kids with a bubble pool.

For me budget ill be around 40-50 USD.

Last year we went to Cancun and stayed on an Ibis and we got bed bug bites all over and the bathroom was disgusting, so I am looking for me to have a clean and safe place, not to far away from the Cathedral downtown area, my parents cannot walk long distances. For the zoo and I saw there is a new museum we will probably take a cab.

Thank you again and can't wait to see some sunshine, is freezing in here!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

You will have quite a few choices at that price. Go to the "Hotels" section here and have a read through. Some (Dolores Alba for one) also have a pool and free breakfast. The taxis are inexpensive...You should have a great trip.

9. Re: Budget hotel and kids activities in Merida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:17