We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

Are the ruins at Dzibilchatun (sp?) and Uxmal open New Years Day? Are guides standing around to be hired? Cost? And same questions for Haciendas Yaxcopoil (sp?) And finally, what's going on that day in Merida? Is it festive or dead? Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

Oh..and how much time should I allocate for these places? Can I drive south and see Uxmal and Haciendas Yaxcopoil in an afternoon?

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

The pyramid sites are open 365 days of the year. Whether you'll find a guide on Jan 1st is somewhat doubtful.

Dzibilchaltun needs about 2-3 hours. You could do Uxmal & Yaxcopoil in about 4-5 hours, including driving time from Mérida. Alternatively, take more time and have lunch at Hacienda Ochil.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

New Years Day is not the entertainment wasteland in Mexico that it is in the United States. So don't worry, everything will be as usual at the ruins on that day. A guide can be nice, but as londoner said, not necessary for enjoyment of the experience. And I totally agree... no trip to Yaxcopoil and Uxmal is complete without visiting Hacienda Ochil for lunch. The food there is delicious, the environment lovely, and its my favorite place to buy natural cotton hammocks (they don't always have them, but when they do, they are great quality). Also don't miss the chance to look at the James Turrell-designed amphitheatre and stage at the mouth of the cenote where Philip Glass performed... was it last year or two years ago? I can't remember... Enjoy!!!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

Thanks, Londoner and YucatanLiving. I will take your advice. How do I get a guide at the ruins? Are they just hanging around?

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

Guides are just chilling at the entrance.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,294 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

I agree. Just hesitate a bit at the entrance and you can be sure, several guides will find you.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

Cost?

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

Sorry to jump in to the conversation so late. Guides at Uxmal are currently charging $700 pesos for tours in English. They are there on your right at the entrance and have badges. The prices are marked on the wall behind them and are official. No tip necessary unless you feel like it. If you are interested in ruins, I HIGHLY recommend getting a guide as it will bring the experience to life. So many come all the way down here, spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on airfare, accommodation and meals. Then they will balk at paying 50 - 60 bucks for a guide at the site they have traveled all this way to see. Makes no sense to me at all. Yes you can enjoy the site without a guide, but believe me, and I have been to Uxmal at least 40 times, I always learn something new, or see something new, when using one of the guides there.

When in Yaxcopoil, after or before your tour, visit the town tortilleria for some fresh corn tortillas (ask for a little salt and eat some right there)

Time to do Yaxcopoil and Uxmal is, as my esteemed colleague above pointed out, 4-6 hours, but with stops at Uman and Muna that can be closer to the latter.

Just re-read the OP's post and he mentions an afternoon trip. Keep in mind that the ruins close at 5 PM and they let people in until 4:30.

Hope this helps - happy travels!

Edited: 12 December 2013, 14:37
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

Thank you, Bill and others, for your great, informed advice.

10. Re: Thx Bill Lawson/YucatanLiving. Ruins open New Years Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 06:18