We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the tourist path

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Off the tourist path

There was an Embassy Open House today in DC and I went to the Mexican Embassy. I wads amazed that with all the promotion material they had nothing about Merida or the Yucatan area- only Cacun, Puebla, Oaxaco, etc. Especially since the city is now touted as Mexicos safest.

I did love the hibiscus iced tea as well as ochado- a rice and cinnamon drink. Heaven.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the tourist path

The drink is spelled horchata

Edited: 03 May 2014, 18:39
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,390 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the tourist path

We enjoyed Merida very much as well. We went on our first trip to Mexico and had a great time there - spent 4 or 5 days and would absolutely go back for more. While we were there, we were talking to some people in a bar one night and they were surprised that we were in Merida on our first trip to Mexico - apparently this is quite uncommon - LOL. It seems that most people start out at various resorts and then some eventually make their way inland after some trips - or get to Merida as a cruise ship excursion from Progresso.

We went to the Yucatan primarily to see the Mayan ruins rather than the beach, although the beach was on our itinerary too. Merida, being the capitol of Yucatan State, seemed like an obvious choice for a visit - in fact it never occurred to us NOT to visit Merida.

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
302 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the tourist path

That's good news. Many of us do no want to see Merida overrun with tourists.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,032 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the tourist path

¨Merida, being the capitol of Yucatan State, seemed like an obvious choice for a visit¨

The capitol really unknown to most is the capitol of Quintana Roo, where Cancun is located. It is Chetumal, almost on the border with Belize.

Agree with caromex. Happy they don´t promote Merida so much. Let the tourists all cram into Cancun.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
791 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the tourist path

Tourism can be an important part of a region's economy. While I would like to see the State of Yucatan remain off the main tourist path, tourism will be an important part of the region's economic growth. Too bad the Mexican Embassy was not able to promote the Yucatan other than Cancun.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,032 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off the tourist path

I agree, tourism is important. But would hope the Yucatan can continue to do a good job of controlling it rather than just allowing uncontrolled development as in Cancun and the State of Qunitana Roo. Quintana Roo talks big about protecting the environment but seems if you show them the money, most anything can be arranged.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off the tourist path

Yucatan probably wasn't there cuz they blew their budget on a promotion tour to Aspen last fall to deliver panuchos at the top of Little Nell. :-)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,390 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off the tourist path

I come from the California coast, so tourism is a big industry for us too. I think we have been able to strike a nice balance between tourism, other industries, quality of life for residents, and protecting our natural environment. Hopefully if tourism increases in Yucatan state, they can walk this fine line as well.

Robert - Chetumal is on my list of places to visit also :-)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,032 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off the tourist path

I agree, California does a good job of balancing things. Mexico, not so much, especially Quintana Roo. In the Yucatan, so far things are much better. I am always thinking things would be much better for Isla Holbox if it were in Yucatan and not Quintana Roo. They will likely turn it into another Isla Mujeres or worse.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off the tourist path

I think tourists go to Cancun; travelers go to Merida. I went to Playa del Carmen for a couple of days during a Yucatan trip one year for carnival and met people in line in the airport headed home who had been there for a week and didn't even know carnival was going on. They had stayed on a big resort, was "afraid" to get off the resort, and never went into town. Tourists do that. Travelers, on the other hand, are interested in culture. They want to get to know the local people, learn the language, eat the authentic food, read about the history, see the ruins. If you're a traveler, Merida is a lovely base for Yucatan. If you just want to lie on the beach and eat the Americanized tacos better head for Cancun.