We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

I have been looking for information about the tourist bus that takes you to several archeological sites around the so called "PUUC Route". I finally obtained a response from the Merida Tourist Council as it says that the bus is still running, but only on Sundays, leaving at 8am from the TAME terminal.

I would like to hear from anyone who has taken this bus. Is it convenient and comfortable?, do you have enough time to see the sites?, are there better options to do the same?.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

I don't know anything about it, but I will try to get things going for you. Others must be busy right now. Without ever riding it, I do know 2 things. It is a 2nd class bus, which at the least means there are no bathrooms...And a better option would be to rent a car. Better still might be to hire resident "Destination Expert" Bill Lawson. Excellent reviews.

One other thought - have you searched past posts to see what you can find?

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

There is no tourist bus that I am aware of that takes you to the sites in the Puuc region just beyond Uxmal. I do remember seeing this service but that was about 2 years ago and am not sure if it's still on. The bus company was either ATS or LUS and they would stop at the sites of Sayil, Xlapak and Labna as well as Kabah (and Uxmal?)

In any case, there is some good info on the Yucatan Today page on buses which might help:

yucatantoday.com/en/topics/yucatan-bus-lines…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,065 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

And, in case you were looking for Mr. Lawson, as mentioned by playaguya, there he is!

Midland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

Thanks to all of you that have posted replies to my initial posting. The email I have received from the Merida Tourist office clearly states that there is a bus on Sundays that takes you to the following sites, including the stop times:

-Labná 35 min

-Xlapac 30 min

-Sayil 35 min

-Kabah 50 min

-Uxmal 2 hours

The bus leaves at 8am from TAME bus station at 8am and returns around 4:30 pm.

I was hoping to get some comments from people that have taken this bus service, perhaps there stop times are not enough to enjoy the sites (my main concern).

Hopefully someone else will still reply to my posting.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

My understanding was the same as everyone else's, namely that the bus no longer operates. I caution you not to take anything the Merida Tourist Office as gospel. It is not unusual for official sources to have old or out-of-date information.

If it was me, I would attempt the bus, but have a contingency ready if it doesn't happen.

Also, if it is running on Sundays, please come back here and let us know.

London ON
Level Contributor
287 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

I have not heard of the 'TAME' bus terminal. Is there a 'TAME' bus terminal?

Do the Merida tourist people mean 'CAME'

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,409 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

This is an easy drive should you decide that you want to rent a car.

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

Last July we rented a car and toured a number of sites along the Puuc Route. There are regular bus tours to Uxmal and Kobah from Merida, but the lesser sites may require renting a car. Here is the report imaginetraveldiscover.com/2014/…more-557

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
793 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

TAME is the 2nd Class Bus terminal in Merida on Calle 69 across the street from the CAME (the first class ADO termini)l. Mayab busses and other 2nd class busses including the busses to Uxmal leave from TAME.

Chicago IL
Level Contributor
324 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PUUC Route Buses, any experiences??

We just returned from a trip in May during which we visited Uxmal, Labna, Sayil, and Kabah. While the bus route may get you there, those times will NOT allow you to really see a single one of those sites. If your point is to see one building and take a photo to prove you were there before checking it off a bucket list, then perhaps the bus tour will do it for you. If you want to see anything or climb a pyramid, then nope. We spent 4.5 hrs at Uxmal and felt we missed a lot. The tour itself is over 2 hrs so no way you could get your ticket, get inside, do the guided tour or even a walk-through with a book and get back to the bus in 2 hrs. At Kabah, I believe we spent about 2 hrs, Sayil 2 hrs and Labna, because I had was hungry, only 1.5 hrs. If you must do a bus, plan on staying at one of the places near Uxmal (there are two hotels within walking distance to the ruins entrance, but pricey). Better would be to rent a car, they are easy drives and safe. Just don't drive at night, same as almost anywhere in MX. If you decide to do that, I highly recommend the Fly Catcher Inn in Santa Elena. Their owner is a tremendous asset and resource.