We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Busses from Merida to Chichen iza

Perth
Level Contributor
143 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Busses from Merida to Chichen iza

Hi guys

I'm considering not hiring a car to get from Merida-chichen iza-riviera Maya but instead do it by bus.

The trip isn't until November so I just looked at ADOs website and for a sunday it appears their only bus from Merida to Chichen Iza is at 6.30am. does anyone know any other reliable first class busses that leave in the afternoon?

er are stayin at hotel Dolores Alba near chichen iza so would need to take a taxi there from the entrance of Tulum. then the plan was to visit some cenotes nearby for the afternoon and visit chichen in the morning for opening. their location is between the ruins and Balankanche caves,

1) can you visit sites easily with colletivos /taxis and not spend a fortune?

2) what would you recommend doing for the afternoon?

again ADO says that leaving on a monday there is a early morning bus (not suitable as we will be at the ruins) and a 16.30 bus. was hoping to leave around midday after seeing the ruins to get to the hotel in Tulum/Puerto Morelos/Akumal/playa del Carmen (haven't booked yet)- does anyone know of any other busses doing these routes?

hiring a car might be easier but will cost us around $300 for 4 days as dropping off at Cancun before leaving so trying to work out other options that won't be too much hassle.

thanks for your advice

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Busses from Merida to Chichen iza

First , ADO is the only first class carrier on this route and in this area. Last I knew, they only had the one early morning bus to Chichen. However, Oriente, one of ADO´s second class lines, has more frequent service from the second class terminal opposite ADO. However, it is difficult to find those up to date schedules on the internet. The Oriente second class buses are fine for such a short trip--late model buses with air conditioning, reclining seats, etc.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Busses from Merida to Chichen iza

"er are stayin at hotel Dolores Alba near chichen iza so would need to take a taxi there from the entrance of Tulum. then the plan was to visit some cenotes nearby for the afternoon and visit chichen in the morning for opening. their location is between the ruins and Balankanche caves,"

It looks like your keyboard went crazy typing that paragraph, because I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're doing. So this is all a guess:

Delores Alba has a shuttle, and they can get you to Chichen Itza and Balankanche. There are usually taxis queued up at Chichen, so no problem in that regard. Getting back from Balankanche might be a problem, because even though it is not far from the Delores Alba, that highway is very dangerous to walk along. I would have someone there call you a taxi, even for that short distance.

The Delores Alba is across the highway from Ik Kil cenote, so you won't have any problems with transportation there.

As for what to do in the afternoon, the Delores Alba has a nice pool and a vending machine that sells beer. That would be the ultimate cheap activity. If it was me, though, I'd consider spending the afternoon in Valladolid. It will be hot, but it's a nice place to grab a meal or an ice cream, and look at some cool buildings, maybe shop for folks back home. It will give you a feel for an authentic Yucatecan community, versus what you experienced in Tulum.

Nice thing about Valladolid is that it is relatively convenient to get to by combi or taxi.

Have a great trip.

Perth
Level Contributor
143 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Busses from Merida to Chichen iza

Ok so What do you think of this plan?!

Palenque to Merida- overnight bus- 3 nights Merida.

Leave early on Sunday morning 6.30am ADO bus arrive at Chichen just after opening.

leave luggage in lockers. spend the day at Chichen, if have time visit Ek Balam or other attractions with taxis or collectivos.

Leave for PLaya del Carmen with ADO at 16.30 the same day, 3.5 hour trip. Arrive in Playa where we will pick up a car and drive to Akumal where we will spend 4 nights exploring the coast then leave from Cancun. not costing as much in car hire, still get to see Merida and Tulum/Riviera Maya. it will be a LONG day on the sunday but after that we can take it at a slower pace. Is 3 nights, 3 days in Merida too long??

thanks for all your replies

4. Re: Busses from Merida to Chichen iza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:16