We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

Perth
Level Contributor
143 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

Hello!

i want to get to chichen iza and am only seeing one bus a 6.30 am bus which is a bit early for us, is there a later bus?

are there slightly more expensive but private busses that leave at around 8am. because we are taking the 4.30pm bus to Tulum and don't think I can spend 8 hours on the site!

also are luggage lockers big at Chichen we will have 2 large suitcases (about top of leg height)

thank you!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,592 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

Everybody says you don't want to be at CI during the middle of the day: heat, hordes, hawkers. Perhaps you could instead get there early, and take an earlier bus to Tulum when you're done.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

Viajero has a good point, the best time to be at CI is between 8 and 11 am.

You have a few options. You could get an ADO bus to Valladolid a little later in the morning and then get a taxi to CI.

Alternatively, contact Bill Lawson, my fellow Destination Expert and he could offer you a quote to take you from Merida to CI.

In addition, you could overnight in Valladolid, take a taxi around 8 am and get to CI before the crowds. Then get back to Valladolid for your bus. Also see Robert's recent post about 2nd class buses from Valladolid to CI at

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499453-i9228-k762…

Lastly, Valladolid is an attractive, small colonial city. If you left CI around noon and had time to kill before your bus, the city has good restaurants and very pleasant squares to wander round.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 19:37
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

I did the 6:30 am bus last year. It is early but you are there before many others -- usually by 8:30 at the latest. There is a baggage storage area, however, what we saw was more or less a pile of bags on the floor behind a counter being watched by an employee. You did not lock it up yourself. I would suggest the early bus even if you are not an early morning type, buy your ticket the night before and simply get on the bus and go to sleep.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,063 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

" buy your ticket the night before and simply get on the bus and go to sleep."

Agree with Peter. I do some of my best sleeping on the ADO buses. The scenery is boring so you won't be missing much.

Perth
Level Contributor
143 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

Hi thanks for your replies its a worry that the luggage area isn't secure /locked. We wouldn't want to leave laptops In there and carrying around valuables will be a pain. Can anyone else confirm that it isn't locked storage?

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

Damore06,,, one good source for answers to questions of this type is to contact BillLawson, name and contact points on the top right hand side of the forum heading. Have seen a number of postings regarding transport that he has been able to answer very well. (Seems to either in the business or has good contacts for this sort of thing, or both). Hes around that area it seems.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

Nope, he's around this (Merida) area, where he is one of the Destination Experts. And transportation-for-hire is what he does, as Londoner already said, and he does it very well from what I've read. He perhaps can help with your luggage-storage question - it never hurts to ask - but I'm pretty sure P826 has spent a fair amount of time in that area too. Anyway, Good Luck with your trip plans. If it were me, I'd do Chichen from Valladolid, either that morning or as an overnight...again, as Londoner already suggested.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

Playaguya, thanks for the backup, as I said hes around that area, the Merida post site he is an expert on. Sorry for your misunderstanding. If it was me I would also see Chichen from Valladolid as well, after coming from Merida. Lots of hotels and a great system of transport to the site.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,063 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

While Bill Lawson is a Merida DE, he is very well versed on most anything in the Yucatan State. I would trust his expertise on most anything in the region.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: getting from Merida to Chichen Iza

Is there some reason you don't want to rent a car? Because the other travel options get you to Chichen when everyone else does, which is not the most desirable time to see the site. One of the advantages of being in Merida (and of taking the 6:30 bus) is that you get to Chichen early and beat the crowds.