We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily car rental

Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Daily car rental

We will be in Merida for two weeks in late September for a wedding, so you will be hearing a lot from me until then. We are renting a house close to Calle 57x74. What is walkable as far as restaurants/bars/markets?

We will need to rent a car now and then. Does anybody know about daily car rental in Merida and where is a good place?

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daily car rental

Many good reviews here for La Curva Car Rental. Here is their site:

www.yucatanseasonalcarrental.com

Other choices I'd recommend would be Easyway or America Car Rental. We always get full insurance...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,047 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily car rental

La Curva is great but often have everything reserved for long term rentals. My second choice would be Easyway.

As far as walking, you are within walking distance of the center of town. But you are very close to Santiago Park with a small fruit, vegetable , meat market and it is surrounded by many small outdoor low priced local eateries. One small supermarket Super Aki, is next to the park on 72, I also enjoy the historic restaurant-bar La Flor de Santiago next to the park. You will also find cinemas. It is an area favored by ex pats, so you will find most anything you need.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily car rental

America Car Rental is cheaper than Easyway, with generally better reviews...But it's your money.

Monroe, Wisconsin...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily car rental

Based on feedback from this forum and others, I reserved two cars for a week from American Car Rental Co.online. I had a reservation number from them. They were to pick us up at our hotel and drive us to the airport to pick up our cars. We waited, and waited, called and called, and they never came. With the help of the hotel staff we finally reached them and they said that they weren't coming as they had no cars! What? We had reservations! We had two families of five each that needed to get an hour north to Sisal for a house rental! Our husbands started walking around the centro of Merida and after many tries, finally came upon Alfredo at EasyWay. He was closing, but very kindly listened and arranged for one car that day for us and another the following day. We were so grateful. I would not rent from American Car Rental!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,047 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily car rental

Interesting, Holly, thanks for posting. I have many friends who also rent from EasyWay and never a problem there.

London ON
Level Contributor
286 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daily car rental

Joaquin at La Curva Car Rental will probably have vehicles available in the September time frame.

I thing most of his long term renters are Nov/Dec through Mar/Apr.

We have used La Curva for the last 4 years and will again in 3 weeks.

If and when we had a problem it was fixed the same day.

Also, I have read nothing but good things about Easyway. My son is renting a car from the Cancun office for 10 days in March.

Oregon
Level Contributor
298 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daily car rental

We rented from American Car Rental in Merida for 10 days and had no problems. I did have a local we know take us to the office to pick up. The process to pick up was slow, but this is Mexico!

I was a little nervous about the drop off, as it was early and someone had to be at the office a few hours before they opened. They were there with smiling faces to receive the car.

Sorry you had a difficult time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daily car rental

+1 for Easy Way - we rented a car from their office in Merida and returned in Cancun 8 days later. Good price and no problems

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daily car rental

I wouldn't jump in here, but I've spent a bit of time researching this for our upcoming trip. We will again be using America. Both they and Easyway provide fine service, but for the past few years, Easyway has been quite a bit more expensive. The same is true for this time around. And I'll add that the only thing I know about La Curva is what I read here. It's all good, that's for sure, but we never rent for just the Merida area...

Redwood City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daily car rental

Hi,

I am looking to rent a car in March and I have had no luck with getting a hold of Joaquin at La Curva. I've sent a few emails directly and others through the website and have not received a response. Is there any other way to communicate with him? Otherwise, I guess based on this thread I may look into Easyway.

Thanks!