We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yucatan with a toddler

Which Merida hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Yucatan with a toddler

I am planning a trip for my family (me + husband + 2-year-old) for the end of October/beginning of November. We are flying into Merida, and staying there for 3 nights. We then want to check out some of the Starwood Haciendas before finishing up our trip in Tulum and flying out of Cancun. Our goal is to not have too much driving in any given day.

I'm thinking that from Merida, we head south to either Hacienda Santa Rosa or Hacienda Temozon. We'll likely want to visit to Uxmal. I see that Temozon is closer to Uxmal, but I'm thinking that Santa Rosa sounds a lot more special. Anyone have opinions on that, especially where a toddler who takes a long mid-day nap comes into the equation?

After heading south, it looks like we'll have to backtrack a bit back through Merida. I'm thinking we either then go stay at Hacienda San Jose for a night or we push on through to Chitzen Itza and stay there a night, check it out early in the AM and then head on to Tulum. Again, thoughts on that itinerary?

Thank you!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Yucatan with a toddler

The only hacienda I have stayed at is the Hacienda Chichen (and I recommend it), so I'm not much help there. I have eaten a couple of times at the Hacienda Temozon and while the setting was spectacular, I found the food overpriced.

But on the subject of having a toddler who naps in the afternoon, my recommendation is to use that time for travel. My children when they were that age would conk out five minutes after hitting the road. Furthermore in Yucatan that is the heat of the day, and a good time to be in an air-conditioned vehicle.

Have a great trip!

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yucatan with a toddler

I've stayed at Hacienda San Jose and spent time at both Temozon and Santa Rosa. First of all, a toddler taking a long midday nap is great... so do a lot of people that time of day :) Get started early in the morning and try to be in the car on the way home for naptime. or back at the hacienda and you can enjoy the pool while your child sleeps. OR you could sleep too :-)

You can't go wrong staying at any of the three haciendas... but Temozon seems a little less private to me. Yes, Santa Rosa is VERY special but pretty out of the way. Still, it would be my first choice. Nothing wrong with San Jose Cholul either... lovely pool. Well, they all have lovely pools, but when you are in the one in Temozon, its like you are on display. I prefer the intimacy of Santa Rosa and San Jose.

Hope that helps!!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yucatan with a toddler

That helps a ton! I had the same feeling from looking at the pictures so you validated my gut feeling. I think that we'll pass on Temozon.

We will try to do some travel while she naps in the car, the catch is that she naps SO much better when in a crib, so we'll only do car naps when we're moving from place to place. If there is traffic or stop-and-go, it is game over. She needs a good highway to sleep.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yucatan with a toddler

Strollers are not very easy to use at archaeological sites because of the rough ground, so you may need an alternative. Equally, the very narrow sidewalks in the centre of Merida make them far from ideal.

However, Sunday sees many downtown streets closed to traffic, so that would be the best day to see the city.

Phildalephia, PA
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yucatan with a toddler

Could they rent a bicycle with a baby seat and do the biciruta? I've seen families doing that, but not sure if they rent bikes with the babyseats. That would be a fun way to see the city on Sunday morning.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yucatan with a toddler

Yes, some bikes do have toddler seats. The OP could check the store at the very end of Paseo de Montejo, opposite Café Impala, they have a good stock of bicycles.

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,694 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yucatan with a toddler

VERY good idea to get to Chichen Itza early. It is a magical place, despite the many vendors lining the paths, until the tour buses arrive from Cancun, full of frankly drunk folk who have no respect for the site, or for others. An interesting alternative to staying at the site would be the utterly charming colonial town of Valladolid, minutes away. It has no chain stores, no stop lights, a wonderful town square where public dances are held on Sundays and very chatter tropical birds make a racket for an hour, then drift off to sleep. This town IS tranquilidad. It also has a superb little hotel, El Meson del Marques, that has what I think is the best restaurant in the Yucatan! I was booked there for two nights and stayed five, just for the atmosphere and the food, even though I had Aussie relatives in Cancun anxiously awaiting their cousin/translator's arrival. Hated Cancun by the way!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yucatan with a toddler

We bicycle a lot at home so I love the idea of seeing the city by bicycle! Will check

Thanks for the stroller feedback. Now I'm wondering if I should bring one at all. She is still small enough that she'll ride in the Ergo backpack. It's hot but maybe easier.

9. Re: Yucatan with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 07:16