We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation From Cancun to Merida

Washington
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Transportation From Cancun to Merida

We will be arriving Cancun around 2;00 - 3:00 pm. We have reservation in Merida for that night. What is best way to get to Merida? We really do not want to rent a car as we have heard travel on road at night is not very smart for tourists. We did hear that there is one very good bus service. Help please!

Thank you!

Calgary, canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

We have been searching for the most convenient way to travel from Cancun to Merida as well. What we found is that there are 2 "first-class" bus lines with various departure times from Cancun. Go to www.ticketbus.com.mx and it will let you check the schedule and the price. Cost is around MxP$240 for AdoGL and MxP$350 for Uno. There are 2 locations in Merida for a point of arrival: the bus terminal and the Fiesta Americana.

My wife and I have travelled on ETN, which is another "first-class" bus and have to tell you the experience was amazing. Nothing like we are used to up north in Canada. I did travel on the "local" buses when I was in Grad school in Morelia and I recommend going first class.

As to renting an auto, I am not sure what people have told you about the roads but my impression is that they are fairly safe in the Yucatan (excepting the topes). But why drive when you can take these amazing bus lines?

Buena suerte!

DC

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

You can take an ADO bus direct from the Cancun airport to the ADO terminal in Cancun. As mentioned, you can check schedules and prices on www.ticketbus.com.mx

Really any of the choices are good. The ADO first class buses are new Mercedes buses, ADO GL offers more leg room and two restrooms in new Volvo buses. A step up is the UNO service, offering fulling reclining seats with leg rests but , to me, not necessary for a 4 hour trip.

When checking the website, be advised that buses operate to both the main CAME terminal and to the Fiesta Americana terminal. Both are centrally located .

Chelem, Mexico
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

Hi There,

We arrive in Cancun at around 5.00pm and hope to get to Chelem. Do we go to Merida and then Chelem? And should we overnight in Merida. We hope to stay at the Sandcastle Inn but haven't heard back from them. Anybody know the phone number there?

We also plan to travel by bus rather than rent a car.

Soupson, we live in Calgary and if you can give me any more information about the area would love to hear it.

Calgary, canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

Legal blonde. No problemo. Just send me an email and I can give you all the info we have found on the area. If you also need help with the translating both my wife and I speak Spanish. You can reach me at soupson99 at hotmail.

Saludos.

Cambridge
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

I'm also trying to get to Merida from Cancun. I'm trying to make a weekend of it, before I start a language course in Playa on a Monday. Therefore need to travel back to Cancun/Playa on Sunday. But I've looked on the bus ticket website, and - perhaps I'm mistaken - there don't seem to be any buses from Merida to Cancun on Sundays. Or????

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

ADO operates many first class buses from Merida to Cancun or, if you prefer, to Playa, everyday. Not sure what you are seeing to indicate otherwise but essentially ever bus operates 7 days a week and their are many on these routes.

Cambridge
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

Oh, looks like I was looking too far in advance - every Sunday in December kept coming up with nothing. But I checked for a Sunday in October and it was fine. Thanks!

sfo, ca
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

hi, I am trying to travel one way from Cancun to Merid a Airport and was reading your blogs about the adogl and uno lines.However I am unable to process a ticket at the ticketbus website.

ofcourse I am trying to book way in advance like for nov09, but still i get no buses available. also can what is the cost approximately in US dollars for a one way trip.

there is a website which shows buses to run every one hour starting at 1am and all the way till midnight. is it true, do bus lines from cancun to merida run throughout the day.

thanks

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

Yes, busses run all day long.

No, there is no need to get a reservation this far in advance... or in advance at all, really.

And the cost is about $20 US, depending of course on the exchange rate at the time.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,815 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation From Cancun to Merida

True, the buses run frequently and no need for a reservation at that time of year. ADO does not post schedules far in advance but they rarely change so you will get good information looking at current schedules.

Get answers to your questions about Merida