We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Share Sales Pitch

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern California
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Time Share Sales Pitch

I've heard that you have to go to a sales pitch for the Palace Resorts... is this true? We are looking into going to Xpu-Ha Palace for our honeymoon.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
452 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Share Sales Pitch

They will bug you about going to a presentation but it isn't mandatory. Ok, make that they'll harrass you. But if you don't want to go, just give them a firm 'No' from the beginning. Any hint of indecision and they'll be more likely to call your room a few times each day. At Xpu-Ha, since it is now so small, I imagine it would be harder to get away from them. You do realize Xpu-Ha no longer has the great beach after the hurricanes, right'? You can go to the new property Palace bought down the beach (Club Maeva) but according to Palace they'll be closing it down later in the year for major renovations.

Idaho
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Share Sales Pitch

I've stayed at various Palace resorts four times now and I've never been bugged to go to the time share pitch. They ask once when we first talk to the activites desk and then call our room exactly one time. We are members now, but even when we were not we were not asked more times than that to go to the time share pitch.

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Share Sales Pitch

You shouldn't have to go to the sales pitch but if you are interested....

find out what they offer as an incentive. Ask for a little more and see what you can get. If it is slow, you can get some good$$$ to listen and say no. Also if you are seriously interested, wait until their final offer which will be # 3 or 4 and then ask if they have any sell offs from other members who have upgraded and see if you can get those cheap.

I know a couple who take a month every year to go to Mexico and have 3/4 of it paid for by listeneing to presentations and then walk away with the cash.

VA
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time Share Sales Pitch

They call it a "Celebration" thing that they will ask you about several times. Just be stern and say no gracias if you do not want to go. We are members and we still go. It is not required at all, but they will hit you up at the "Services" desk as soon as you get there and check-in. They start by going over your included tours and then invite you to the celebration.

Here is how we do it. We sign up for early in the morning (breakfast). We take the free cab to ASP, sit and eat breakfast with the person (30 minutes or so), walk around and view the resort (30 minutes) then go over a few offers that we know we are not going to get and tell them up front. 90 minutes later, free spa credits, $100 in palace money. We are going to eat anyway, the walk was nice and just say no gracias a few times. If you go to XPU-HA, they will try to get you to the ASP. When you are not a member, they will bring other sales people to try and talk you into it. As soon as your 90 minutes are up just so no thank you and you are done. Get your stuff and go.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time Share Sales Pitch

No, it is not true. We just got back from the Mayan Palace Riviera Maya.

What they do is, at check-in, after giving you your room keys and a plastic bracelet that allows you to use the free transportation, etc...another person will tell you about all the tours and stuff they are going to take you on. Right away, I said, oh is this a timeshare presentation? They said yes. I just let them know that we weren't interested. We have been to dozens of timeshare resorts and actually own a timeshare ourself. We don't like to tour on vacation because our vacation time is precious. You don't have to be rude, just firmly decline. The salesperson told us to have a wonderful time and backed off. They never approached us or called us in our room. Fairfield Resorts are lovely but everyone we have ever stayed at does not take no for an answer and they call you in your room everyday and you have to sneak by the concierge when coming in from a day at the beach. Mayan Palace is not like this. However, I have heard form the people that do accept the tours that they are high pressure. So YOU just firmly say NO, I am on vacation.

And have a wonderful time!

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time Share Sales Pitch

On our first trip to PDC, we were walking the beach and accepted an invitation to a sales presentation. We ended up with 2 bottles of tequila, 2 golf shirts, 2 mexican blankets, and 2 ball caps. After a nice tour, we had to sit through a presentation where they brought in 3 different people to persuade us to buy. They were rude and very forceful. We got up and left while they were still berating us for wasting their time. This was at the Viva Maya.

On another trip, a guy downtown offered us each a hundred dollar bill and an hour's spa treatment (plus lunch). We were tempted since it was raining, but we declined. This was from a new (at the time) Palace Resort.

7. Re: Time Share Sales Pitch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 00:18