We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
151 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

We have normally put bottles in our carry on but now that no liquids allowed will have to bring back bottles in our checked luggage. Any tips on how to ensure they don't break?

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

I normally take a soft sided cooler along, as the refrigerators in the room normally are not cold enough for my likes..

I put the bottle in the middle of the soft sided cooler , place in the middle of my luggage..Worked for me once..I have some bubble wrap, that I might bring along this time , just to add a little protection...

Ontario
Level Contributor
343 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

We purchased (Jan. 2007) at the duty free shop in the airport and carried it on the plane, and left it under the seat. 1.14 L of Bacardi Rum for $13 US. That way, it is not added to your luggage weight, which was good as we were charged $20 US on our return for being over.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

I agree with the Duty Free. That's what we did, you can carry it on and is IMO the easiest way.

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
604 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

As long as you purchase the alcohol after you clear security, you can buy in the Duty Free stores and carry-on the plane. I think it's five liters per person - this is where kids come in handy!!!

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

Actually it is one liter per person of age..Anything over 1 liter you could be charged a tax..if found out....

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

I noticed the original question came from a Canadian, I believe you are allowed slightly more than 1 liter per person..

As far as a US citizen returning from MX it is 1 liter per person of age..If a US citizen is returning from the US Virgin Islands, you can bring back ( if memory serves) one gallon of liquor per person of age...

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

Are the prices at the duty free store better than the prices you would get at a liquor store in town?

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

Prices at the duty free are better than some stores (like along 5th) but higher than others. (perhaps Covi) so as you would expect you have to be a shopper and look for the value.

I saw huge Ziplocs at the grocer (marked by XL and XXL) and would suggest putting clothes in them in case of breakage of the bottles. Do we have to worry if our booze leaks and soils other luggage?

My hint: Instead of using bubble wrap use diapers to wrap them....will hold the liquid better and if you buy Depends we might be starting a new beach attire.

Here is the website and what USA citizens can do legally.

…state.gov/travel/…regional_1174.html

Alcoholic Beverages: One liter (33.8 fl. oz.) of alcoholic beverages may be included in your exemption if:

You are 21 years old.

It is for your own use or as a gift.

It does not violate the laws of the state in which you arrive.

Federal regulations allow you to bring back more than one liter of alcoholic beverage for personal use, but, as with extra tobacco, you will have to pay duty and Internal Revenue Service tax.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

Hey there,

Does anyone know how much liquor you can take into Mexico from the Duty Free in Canada? We like to take wine with us, but I am not sure if we are limited to one 750ml bottle each.

Thanks....cheers!

Advance, North...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transporting Alcohol Back - Ideas?

Several people on our flight had quite a surprise when we arrived in Charlotte. You can carry on duty free liquor but if you are connecting you have to place it in your checked luggage before you can get to your new gate. Lots of people on our flight were scrambling to find room in their luggage for it. They were not told this by anyone until we landed.