We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

Every time we go to Playa we always say "next time" we go NON AI. We started out with Royal Hideaway when it still had the most beautiful beach, but we still went into town almost every night. Playa has certinly changed over the years but it still holds a certaiin magic. Where do we stay for a right on the beach, nice room and great service. We are not looking for a bargin. We are looking for a place we never want to leave.

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

The Royal or Shangri La--depending on how much luxury you want!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

If you are willing to go 20 minutes south of Playa, check out the Esencia. It is a great area, on beautiful Xpu-Ha beach. Small (30 rooms), peaceful with one restaurant. There prices just went up, but it looks like a slice of heaven. We will be there in exactly 2 weeks. Can't wait!

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,548 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

Well I think both of the above are AI, actually, though they are certainly nice properties.

The small hotel option I think depends rather more on your specific preferences as to location, character, style and so forth. I mean I believe small properties differ more from other small properties to a much greater extent than large AI resorts differ from other large AI resorts. (Probably get some argument here on that point, but that's OK!)

There are also some luxury small properties you might want to look at -- Ikal del Mar, just to name one -- but then those are mostly located out of town...

Steve

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

Esencia has breakfast included, but lunch and dinner are on you. It is owned by same folks who own Ikal del Mar, both being very nice. I've heard the beach is nicer down at Esencia though. There a variety of different rooms, and price ranges, to choose from.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,548 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

Sorry, don't know aobut Esencia. I was writing in reference to Summer's mention of the Royal and Shangri-la Caribe in the first post. You beat me by a minute, while I was writing, so my comment re the 2 above came out funny. :-)

Steve

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

If I am not mistaken Escencia is an Orient Express Hotels and Ikal is run by A Kor Hotels.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

I have read good things about the Playa Maya.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

Just checked, Maroma is the orient express hotel. Though Esencia isn't listed on Kor group website, it was purchased by them, about a year ago? Really makes no difference, they're all nice. We leave in 1 1/2 weeks. Yippee!!!!!

northern california
Level Contributor
554 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

We love Shangri La. It is not AI. Breakfast and dinner are included but not lunch or drinks. We feel it is so reasonable (approx $100.00 per person per day) that we often enjoy dinner in town.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,171 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NON AI great hotel on beach-which one?

what about some average ones, not too fancy but not a dump either? and if some that offer all inclusive and don't that way we can get it for a few days and the go into town the others.